World Finals 2003 Discussion Thread

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

World Finals 2003 Discussion Thread

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

Hello,
Today the ACM/ICPC World Finals is taking place. As the problemset will be available for public view within 12 hours or so (I guess) at the webpage http://icpc.baylor.edu/ I would like to open this thread. This thread will remain at the top (sticky) for next two weeks (atleast). So here you can discuss about the finals, the problemset, your experience etc. As this site has many veteran programmers who will not participate in finals but surely did in their time and I hope you can discuss your ideas and suggestions with them via this thread. I am sorry that I could not be in the finals as I got my visa at the 12th (11+1) hour :-(.
Last edited by shahriar_manzoor on Fri May 02, 2003 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helal Md. Morshed Alam
New poster

Result

Post by Helal Md. Morshed Alam »

from where i can get the result of world final.
shahriar_manzoor

here it is

kmhasan
Problemsetter

Post by kmhasan »

... and the problemset?
shahriar_manzoor

Moni
Experienced poster

Post by Moni »

Can anyone experienced with world final like questions classify the problems according to different algorithms ???

I want to know the frequency of different algorithms that is followed at the time of problem setting ........ :)
Last edited by Moni on Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ImageWe are all in a circular way, no advances, only moving and moving!
turuthok
Experienced poster

Post by turuthok »

Will those problems be included in UVA Online Judge anytime soon ... all the problems look really fun.

Congratulations to all participants, I'm sure it is a very enriching experience ...

-turuthok-
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge (Proverbs 1:7).
Moni
Experienced poster

Post by Moni »

There is no name of the problem setter in any problem. And I am not sure they are under copyright law or not. If they are not or problem setter is one of uva or have any relation with uva then they may manage it. And if they manage I think that will be great, as the programmers not got AC in the real time will be able to find their mistake or figure out the critical input output and for us we will be able to practice with world final like events question !!! :) :) :)
Last edited by Moni on Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageWe are all in a circular way, no advances, only moving and moving!
shahriar_manzoor

May be

Well it will take time as the official judge datas are not used in online judges just to ensure that no controversy arises. So we will have to regenerate the judge datas.

PS: Moni please stop using explicit languages in your posts. And don't make remarks on something that you don't know well.
shahriar_manzoor

Final Ranklist

Here is the final ranklist

http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc/Finals/2003medals-web.htm

Congratulations to Warsaw Eagles, They showed their consistancy as they showed in many of the Online Contests. I just wonder was the problemset easier or teams are getting better :).
Last edited by shahriar_manzoor on Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmhasan
Problemsetter

Post by kmhasan »

Congratulations to Warsaw and Moscow State. Congrats to all the participants.

Can anybody post a link where the final standings is shown? The link posted here shows the live standings where the board is not updated in the last hour. I was just curious to see which teams solved which problems.
kzaman010
Problemsetter

Post by kzaman010 »

The END of the MEGA EVENT in Beverly Hills.

CONGRATULATIONS to WARSWA eagles. They were also the winner
in "The Real Programmers' Contest-2" solving 9 problems.
They also did very well and showed their prime skill in past
online contests. I am very interested to know which problem
they missed.

Last year it was 6 out of 9.
This year it is 9 out of 10.

Bravo guys!!

Regarding problemset, I think the problemsetters are doing an excellent job
for the past two years. It really sorted out the best teams.
Yarin
Problemsetter

Post by Yarin »

The problems were more, and slightly easier I think, than last years. This is evident when 20 teams solves 6 problems or more!

I think it's very evil of ACM not to post test data. It's even more strange that they don't post a complete submission statistics. AFAIK, there's no way to find out which problems were solved by the teams in the last hour! I can't see _any_ reason for this, what's so special about the last hour after the contest?? Of course, this would give each team an exact rank instead of "13-20" etc, but so what?

On a side note, there was ONE north american team in the top 20, and 26 of the teams were from north america.... 'nuff said!
A great helper

Post by .. »

I know it is cruel to say that, but I think it's the time for north america continent to release some World Final quotas to other continents....They really do bad in this year.....
Last edited by .. on Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My signature:
  • Please make discussion about the algorithm BRFORE posting source code.
    We can learn much more in discussion than reading source code.
  • I HATE testing account.
  • Don't send me source code for debug.
jingye
New poster

Post by jingye »

Yep, the US is pathetic. There are too many regions and too many slots. Some of the US universities at the World Finals are laughable. Then again, this contest is being paid for by a US company.

Return to “Other words”