10472 - Fastest Vs Cheapest

All about problems in Volume 104. If there is a thread about your problem, please use it. If not, create one with its number in the subject.

Moderator: Board moderators

ditrix
New poster

10472 - Fastest Vs Cheapest

Post by ditrix »

Case#4:
-----------
from 0 to 1 there is only one way (on rickshaw) :
price = 23, time = 62.00
from 1 to 2 there are many ways:
1. by road "N":
1.1 rickshaw price = 5, time = 8.00
2. by road "M"
2.1 auto-rickshaw price = 20 time = 7.00
2.2 taxi-cab price = 20 time = 11.40
2.3 bus price = 2 time = 33.00

So the right solution is:
Fastest: price = 43, time = 69.00
Cheapest: price = 25, time = 95.00

But the sample output for this case is:

Case#4
25 68.00
25 68.00

Is my reasonement correct?
What do you think about?
@+!
DitriX
Alexander Grushetsky
New poster

Post by Alexander Grushetsky »

When you go from 0 to 2 on rickshaw, you don't let him go at 1. So you go all 12km with him, wait him and pay only once.
kmhasan
Problemsetter

Post by kmhasan »

Grushetsky is almost right. :wink:

When you're at 0, you wait for 2 minutes to get a rickshaw. You take it all the way (11 km) to reach 2.

Thus, the total time spent is 68 minutes (2 minutes for waiting + 66 minutes for travelling 11 km).

I took time to prepare the input/ouput/solution for this particular problem. So I'm quite sure that they are correct. However, it may be that the lengthy problem statement and the description of unfamiliar vehicles in this weird transport system is causing some confusion.
ditrix
New poster

Post by ditrix »

Merci for explication. I have ajusted my program and it was accepted.
And about the problem statement, it's nice :)
@+!
DitriX
przygoda
New poster

Post by przygoda »

okey , I found the solution , but i think i have a small mistake in my code , it is possible for anybody to give me some interestin input-s with output-s .
Tnaks very much Martin :evil:
Please help me
Endrju
New poster

Post by Endrju »

Can you give me a hint how to solve this problem? Is it Dijkstra alg. modification, or sth like that? :o
kmhasan
Problemsetter

Post by kmhasan »

The judge solution generates two separate graph: one for motorized vehicles, the other one for non-motorized vehicles. It then uses Floyd Warshall's all pair shortest path algorithm to get all the min distances. Then its a simple breadth first search, once to find the fastest path, then the cheapest path.

The problem-setter is dying to use dijkstra (instead of the bfs) to beat the better ranked times for this problem. :wink:

Any other innovative idea could also help. :P
makbet
New poster

Post by makbet »

Are fractional fares possible in this problem? The table contains integer fares per 1 km, so does the point about fractional fares and paying extra have any meaning for the problem?
ditrix
New poster

Post by ditrix »

All costs are itegers in this problem. It means, that, for ex., if you get a bus for 1km you must pay a minimum fare of 2Tk.
On the contrary the travel time can be fractional.
@+!
DitriX
makbet
New poster

Post by makbet »

I keep getting WA. Maybe you guys have got any tricky input that might help me in finding a bug?
thanks
kmhasan
Problemsetter

Post by kmhasan »

Just remembered one from Adrians pm.

To find the cheapest route, you may need to take one vehicle, travel some distance, get out of it and take the same type of vehicle again.

I found this out while testing an alternate judge solution. So far the problem statement is concerned, this case is perfectly alright. Thanks to Adrian for reminding me of it.
makbet
New poster

Post by makbet »

I made that mistake, but it seems that it's not the only one, because I still have WA :roll:
Endrju
New poster

Post by Endrju »

Big thx Tomal for your hint. My solution uses 2 Dijkstras after Floyd (one for fastest routes and one for cheapest). It's not as fast as yours but IT WORKS !! :D
Maxim
New poster

Travel fare in fastest route

Post by Maxim »

I've managed to calculate travel time in fastest route. What is the easiest way of finding value of travel fare in that route?

Maxim
kmhasan
Problemsetter

Post by kmhasan »

The easiest way to deal with it is to calculate both the time and the fare at the same time. As you'd see, the fare is not a function of the time alone. It depends on the distance of the roads and the mode of transport as well.

I simply used 2 parameters (instead of the time only) for the states of BFS. One parameter stored the time taken to come to the ith intersection, the other one stored the fare. I found the optimum (fastest or cheapest) solution based on these two parameters of a state.

Return to “Volume 104 (10400-10499)”