NEW JUDGE is sucks

FAQ about the new system

Moderator: Board moderators

Robert Gerbicz
Experienced poster

NEW JUDGE is sucks

Post by Robert Gerbicz »

I'm waiting about half an hour for the judge's respond on the new judge on world final's warm up contest. Anybody know why there are so HUGE timelimits for the problems, 10 and 15 seconds?! Why they don't set the problems for say 1 second?!
Robert Gerbicz
Experienced poster

Post by Robert Gerbicz »

"word final" what a big words! Currently the site is unavailable. I would call this an offline local school contest.
enjolras
System administrator

Re: NEW JUDGE is sucks

Post by enjolras »

OK, your are right, our site just sucks. Then I wonder why are you using it. Probably YOUR online judge is much better than ours...
You obviously don't have a single clue of the HUGE effort we put every day to keep the site running. Just running. If you knew the actual support we are receiving to keep the site up you would probably start crying. If you think that any of us is making a living out of this, then you are wrong. Most of the work I put here is done on my free time. And that are lots of hours every day. The same is true for the rest of the team members. You don't have to like this site, but, at least, show some fucking respect or go on your way. We had a hardware problem with the first warmup contest, judge system just went down. I am several thousand kilometers away from the actual servers, so not much to do from here that day. I had to judge most of the submissions by hand. Then I spent the following week working 25 hours per day solving the issues to avoid it happening again. Of course you probably don't mind all these explanations, and you only want a working site, but there are strong reasons behind any thing that you (and we) don't like on the site. Probably you should be part of our team, so we can achieve perfection.
Leonid
Experienced poster

Post by Leonid »

enrolas, WE appreciate your work! I like the new judge much then the old though it's not perfect.
This judge is the most popular in the world and I'm sure it will be more popular and better with your help.

Don't pay attention to that kind of posts as the one written before, we DO KNOW that you make everything that is possible to create an outstanding project. THANK YOU for doing that!
THANKS!!!
Robert Gerbicz
Experienced poster

Post by Robert Gerbicz »

Leonid wrote: This judge is the most popular in the world and I'm sure it will be more popular and better with your help.
Yes, with decreasing interest:
Total codes
2005 1050463
2006 999080
2007 914510
Leonid
Experienced poster

Post by Leonid »

Robert, pay attention that you don't do anything to improve it, and you're still using this judge, then why?
Robert Gerbicz
Experienced poster

Post by Robert Gerbicz »

Leonid wrote: This judge is the most popular in the world and I'm sure it will be more popular and better with your help.
Probably you are right, but if it's true then why there is zero admin message on the board? What are the projects to solve the 1 day long judge queue? It would help to reduce the load, currently lot of people submit their same code multiple times.
Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos »

Probably you are right, but if it's true then why there is zero admin message on the board? What are the projects to solve the 1 day long judge queue? It would help to reduce the load, currently lot of people submit their same code multiple times.
That's why we have moderators. Admins do not have time to read the forum. They are kindly helping us by answering all kind of questions (even yours!!). Anyway, I'm still the second poster in the forum, with 1079 posts. I wouldn't say 1079 posts means "zero admin messages on the board".

If you want to get informed what the projects are to solve the problems, you can always ask. About current problems? It's easy: we'll solve them as soon as we have money. Oh, it's a pity we don't get any money for this.......so the problems will have to be there for a while......unless you kindly contribute to the project with more powerfull machines or your genius-like brain.
Yes, with decreasing interest:
Total codes
2005 1050463
2006 999080
2007 914510
As always, statistics can be handled the way you want so that thy look as you want. You forgot some variables like market rate or competence factor. As I see it, the number of submissions has stabilized, the exponential grow of the first years couldn't be forever. A variation of 10% is normal in every natural stabilization process, people call it overshoot. I'm 99% sure the stable point is at about 900k submission per year, which is not bad at all. I'd count with the fingers of a hand the number of projects in the whole europe who make users spend so many time in their site (and users even learn things!!).

In order to know the importance and grow of our project without using numbers, I'd state two questions:
- Valladolid, how many people would know the name of our tiny little village if it wasn't because of the OJ? Our football team is not so performant :P
- What would be the impact of us stopping the project (no OJ, no LA)? Would anyone notice? Where would those 900k submissions and 70k users go?

Let's state my point of view the same way:

2005: Team members: 2 (one of them in France, both of them working for free in their spare time instead of going out with friends of do sports). No help from Mr. Gerbicz.
2006: Team members: 3 (one of them in France, another one constatly travelling, all of them working for free in their spare time instead of going out with friends of do sports). No help from Mr. Gerbicz.
2007: Team members: 3 (one of them in France, another one constatly travelling, all of them working for free in their spare time instead of going out with friends of do sports). No help from Mr. Gerbicz.

And we still did up some ¿great? work here. Maybe the site sucks, but I'm proud of it. Don't use it if you don't like it, but please fuck off.
DON'T PM ME --> For any doubt, suggestion or error reporting, please use the "Contact us" form in the web.
yiuyuho
A great helper

Post by yiuyuho »

Wow, only 3 people? I must say you guys are doing an awesome job here.

Thanks, you've been of great help to many people around the world.

Return to “FAQ”