NEW JUDGE'S STATUS

The forum to report every bug you find or tell us what you'd like to find in UVa OJ

Moderator: Board moderators

Carlos
System administrator

NEW JUDGE'S STATUS

Post by Carlos »

Yesterday, UVA Online Judge staff had a meeting to decide the future of the OJ. After a few discussions, we decided to install the new judge as soon as possible. As you can see, old judge is becoming unstable and it's reaching its limits (for example, as soon as the number of users reaches 65535, it will dump).

----------- STATUS ------------
The new judge is in developping stage. It will most of it be created using PHP and a real DB (not files as the old one did). It works ok for the basic features and small test cases. Now it's completely void: no descriptions, no datasets, no submission: only judge's structure.

----------- NEXT STEP ------------
This week we're starting testing stage. We'll test whether the judging feature itself works. To do this, we'll install every test case, and we'll forward all submissions from the OJ to the new judge, and check for stability and judging results. Submissions will still be judged and stored by the old system, so this testing stage will be transparent to you. It will last about 2 weeks, depending on the kind of bugs we find.

----------- FUTURE STEPS ------------
After that forst testing stage works, we'll start with the second test stage. We'll add the users list, and the submissions, and we'll try to get similar statistics after another 2-3 weeks of judging. That will mean that new judge works ok for the basic feature.

Afetr that, we'll have to transfer all data (descriptions, new user list, new submissions...) to the new system, intall it in judge's machines and stop old judge. That wil take us 2-3 days. During these days, OJ judge will be disabled, and every submission you send will be ignored. After that, the OJ will be online again, with the new system working.

Finally, there will be a last testing step: you'll have to test it to see whether it works ok or not. As the migration to the new system will be omplicated, we'll tell you how you can recover your account in the new system. As it will work using username and password, and not used id with 2 letters as it does now, you'll have to somehow login and do something to prove it's realy your new account (and possible change the temporary username we gave you).

I hope this information is useful for you. I expect the new system to be proved and be working by the end of summer. If you have any questionabout al this stuff, this is the right place to ask :-)
DON'T PM ME --> For any doubt, suggestion or error reporting, please use the "Contact us" form in the web.
misof
A great helper

Post by misof »

Well, good luck! I know you're gonna need some :) May all the changes run smoothly, and may the new judge be even better...

Just out of curiosity, what are the perspectives? How long will the people that programmed this new judge be around to maintain it? Any plans on what happens afterwards?
Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos »

Plans for the future? We don't have any. We expect to mantain the system as far in time as we can. The one who programmed the new judge might leave the project as soon as he releases v1.0, but we'll be able to mantain it an easier way (the old judge had an obscure arquitecture).

Also, unlike in the old system, he'll leave written documentation for every part of the judge. And as he is Miguel Revilla's son, we'll be able to ask him anything, and he'll be available in crisis times.

For the algorithmic part of the judge, we'll keep it as it is: Miguel revilla and I will do our best to provide new problems and debug the ones that are available, and any help from the users is always welcome :-)
DON'T PM ME --> For any doubt, suggestion or error reporting, please use the "Contact us" form in the web.
mf
Guru

Post by mf »

Are you planning to make it open-source?
Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos »

no idea.....
lasc
New poster

Post by lasc »

which stage now?
shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

Hmm

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

Although I can ask these personally but still asking publicly so that others can no:

a) Will the new judge have separate login for different users.

b) Is there a plan to upgrade the contest server. It is way to slow compared to machines used in realtime contests?

UVa OJ is continuing for years and I think it will do so. But how strongly, only time can tell.
FAQ
Learning poster

Post by FAQ »

About 3 months ago I registered one user on the new system, and my user name has "spaces": e.g: "ABC 123 456" (maybe when I typed it I didn't read the instruction carefully, or there hadn't been "i" button (for instruction) as now, can't remember :-? ).

But the strange thing is that user-name works very well, I have just migrated old submissions today, it still worked fine.

I want to ask will it work well in the future? :-? I'm afraid my user-name will disappear some day since the system can consider it as "invalid user-name".
mukeshtiwari
Learning poster

Post by mukeshtiwari »

Respected Carlos
I am trying to submit a solution for problem 11149 and getting compiler error. Initially judge always send me a mail if it is accepted ,wrong answer or compiler error.Judge also send what is the error which is not in the new judge so i can not know why i am getting compiler error.The code is working fine with my compiler.If you include this functionality with new judge i will be very much thankful to you. If this functionality is there then tell me how to active for my account.
Thanking you
Mukesh Tiwari
mogers
New poster

Re: NEW JUDGE'S STATUS

Post by mogers »

Hi

Navigating on the judge (look for problems, stats, etc) is very slow comparing to the old one. Any reasons for this? I'm starting to use other judges because of this :-?

edit: well now the judge is pretty fast :) i hope it continues that way :)
Miguel Oliveira
Carlos
System administrator

Re:

Post by Carlos »

FAQ wrote:About 3 months ago I registered one user on the new system, and my user name has "spaces": e.g: "ABC 123 456" (maybe when I typed it I didn't read the instruction carefully, or there hadn't been "i" button (for instruction) as now, can't remember :-? ).

But the strange thing is that user-name works very well, I have just migrated old submissions today, it still worked fine.

I want to ask will it work well in the future? :-? I'm afraid my user-name will disappear some day since the system can consider it as "invalid user-name".
No problem for the moment. If you ever have problems logging in, just mail us. We can change your username.
mukeshtiwari wrote:Respected Carlos
I am trying to submit a solution for problem 11149 and getting compiler error. Initially judge always send me a mail if it is accepted ,wrong answer or compiler error.Judge also send what is the error which is not in the new judge so i can not know why i am getting compiler error.The code is working fine with my compiler.If you include this functionality with new judge i will be very much thankful to you. If this functionality is there then tell me how to active for my account.
Thanking you
Mukesh Tiwari
The feature is there. I think you can enable it in your profile. You can ahttp://acm.uva.es/board/posting.php?mode=quote&f=35&p=79024&sid=2ce02ffaa589ea21af1671f96e9f6afdlso click on the "compile error" veredict to see them.
mogers wrote:Hi

Navigating on the judge (look for problems, stats, etc) is very slow comparing to the old one. Any reasons for this? I'm starting to use other judges because of this :-?

edit: well now the judge is pretty fast :) i hope it continues that way :)
The reason is a slow machine and too many web queries (and associated db queries). The only possible solution is buying the proper machine (we will eventually do it).
serur
A great helper

Win XP Internet Explorer problem

Post by serur »

Currently my interent acces is confined to WinXP (I was used to lynx), but it shows something incomprehensible.
andmej
Experienced poster

Post by andmej »

I think the only solution right now is to install Mozilla Firefox.
Runtime errors in Pascal are reported as Wrong Answers by the online judge. Be careful.

Are you dreaming right now?
http://www.dreamviews.com
serur
A great helper

Post by serur »

andmej, I hope you got that weighted bipartite stunt allright.
Mozilla is out of the question, since I'm not given admin rights :(
If there is ever a war between men and machines, it is easy to guess who will start it (c) Arthur Clarke
johnleee
New poster

Post by johnleee »

we are having some troubles with the statistics of the users. As far as I know this problem is only with the people who makes the registration today (more or less from 00 UTC). Please, be patient and don't submit problems before checking that your data are already correct. Thanks.
pitter

Return to “Bugs and suggestions”