New system is coming!

General topic about Valladolid Online Judge

Moderator: Board moderators

Carlos
System administrator

New system is coming!

Post by Carlos »

After many years of delay, a lot of patience by your side and quite a hard work from us, the new OJ system has finally came. In one or two days we'll stop the Online Judge and we'll start migrating statistics to the new system. The process will take a couple of days, but it might take longer depending on the troubles we find.

After the migration process is complete we'll tell you how you can get your new username (or how to mantain your old account's statistics with the new username if you already have one).

I've open a new forum with a FAQ subforum (where you can ask for help about the new system) and a bugs and suggestions forum (who will work the same way as the one in the Online Judge). Please, only post bugs about the system itself. Keep posting bugs about datasets&descriptions in the old bugs and suggestions forum.

Sorry for the time the system will be down!
DON'T PM ME --> For any doubt, suggestion or error reporting, please use the "Contact us" form in the web.
little joey
Guru

Post by little joey »

That is great news! Congratulations and the best of luck for the migration!

Hope to see all of you 'on the other side'.
The biggest problem with most problems is not how to solve the problem, but how to not solve what is not the problem.
rhsumon
New poster

New System

Post by rhsumon »

It have already come....
Now It is not possible to submit code .........
Isn't it?

How many times needed for this construction????
subzero
New poster

Re: New System

Post by subzero »

rhsumon wrote:It have already come....
Now It is not possible to submit code .........
Isn't it?

How many times needed for this construction????
If you want to submit your code you have to:

Log in>Browse Problems> (Contest Problems | Problems ???) > Choose the volumen > Select the problem > Submit (in the top of the problem)
:-?

I miss the old system...
There is no knowledge that is no power.
ibroker
New poster

Post by ibroker »

I miss too. :(

It's very unconvenience. :(
rhsumon
New poster

Post by rhsumon »

I thought that it will be more better than the old system.........
But most of the users and also i treat it as a boaring system
As soon as possible it has to be updated......
It is the user's requirmet...........
Khaled_912
New poster

Post by Khaled_912 »

I agree with all of you, and I hope one of the new website admins read this.
The new online judge is just great, specially now it supports java 1.6 and g++ 4.1.2 (No more unusual compilation errors 8) ), in addition, now with a single log-in I can submit many times without having to rewrite my ID.

However, here are few catches about the GUI being user friendly, which I'm sure many people will agree with me about:
1-) No direct link to the submit page.
2-) Each volume is split across many pages (30 - 50 probs/page) instead of having all the problems in a single page.
3-) When reading a problem, its description appears as a part of the page, not as the whole page. It's ok to have a toolbar on top of the description, but having it to its left or right is really annoying.
3-) In the old system it is easy to write the URL of a problem directly into a webpage (like for example problem 353 I'll go: acm.uva.es/p/v3/353.html) but in the new system it is not that easy.
4-) May sound a bit like a personal opinion, but I like the colours of the old website more (like the submission replies and statistics) :D.
5-) The problem id doesn't appear in the submissions page.
6-) The website is a bit heavy and loading the problems in a volume takes a long tim (I'm sure though after migration is totally complete everything will be running smooth).

Thanks you guyz for your great effort in constructing the new website :wink:
I hope you'll take my points into consideration.
enjolras
System administrator

Post by enjolras »

Khaled_912 wrote:I agree with all of you, and I hope one of the new website admins read this.
The new online judge is just great, specially now it supports java 1.6 and g++ 4.1.2 (No more unusual compilation errors 8) ), in addition, now with a single log-in I can submit many times without having to rewrite my ID.

However, here are few catches about the GUI being user friendly, which I'm sure many people will agree with me about:
1-) No direct link to the submit page.
I'll take a look at this very soon. The thing is that sometimes it is not that easy to figure out that what I consider a design fault is actually a most loved feature. :D
2-) Each volume is split across many pages (30 - 50 probs/page) instead of having all the problems in a single page.
I can't see a problem here. Just a different layout for the site. If you use 50 lines per page, there are only 2 pages. I don't see why problems can be splited in 100-lines volumes and can't be in 30/50-lines pages.
3-) When reading a problem, its description appears as a part of the page, not as the whole page. It's ok to have a toolbar on top of the description, but having it to its left or right is really annoying.
This is a problem that should be solved in the mid-term. Rigth now we are using the old HTMLs to show the problems. The site tries very hard to comply with XHTML Transitional standards, and most of that old HTMLs are not standard. That's why we are using an IFRAME to show the problem description. All the problems will be migrated to an XML format that will be shown perfectly integrated in the page. But that has to be done manually so the process is very slow. On the other and, if you are using Firefox, you can always right-click on the frame and select 'This frame->Open in new window/tab'. Also remember that there are PDFs available for most of the problems.
3-) In the old system it is easy to write the URL of a problem directly into a webpage (like for example problem 353 I'll go: acm.uva.es/p/v3/353.html) but in the new system it is not that easy.
Everything is now integrated in a database, and we are using a CMS to manage most of the aspects of the new site. If more users request it, I'll take a look into making some kind of easy-url access to the problems, but this is not a major issue and won't happen soon.
4-) May sound a bit like a personal opinion, but I like the colours of the old website more (like the submission replies and statistics) :D.
Some aspects of the color layout will change to make the information shown more attractive and readable.
5-) The problem id doesn't appear in the submissions page.
That is solved now in the site submissions and will be very soon in the 'My submissions' page.
6-) The website is a bit heavy and loading the problems in a volume takes a long tim (I'm sure though after migration is totally complete everything will be running smooth).
This is true. But part of the slow loading of some pages is due to the quite slow DB access we have now. Things will improve soon.
Thanks you guyz for your great effort in constructing the new website :wink:
I hope you'll take my points into consideration.
Thanks to you for your good points!

Any suggestion that is made with respect and with a good base will be taken in consideration. Of course we can't make all of you happy, but every effort will be made to make most of you happy.

The good news is that the new site is way more easier to improve and extend than the old one. In fact, the old one was a hell for us many aspects.

Miguel
Khaled_912
New poster

Post by Khaled_912 »

Thanks for your concern :)
I'll let you know if I have some more comments.

About the 'speed' issue. Using mozilla firefox the website loads pretty quick, it's only the statistics bar that takes time to load after the page is displayed. Using IE, the page isn't fully displayed untill all the image bars are fully downloaded... that's why it's too slow I assume (I'm connected through a 1MB/s connection btw).
Scottathon
New poster

Post by Scottathon »

I just wanted to say that the new site is great. I love the new Java support.

I have one suggestion, though. It would be nice to be able to view which problems we have solved on our user pages, like before. Another possible feature could be displaying something to indicate which problems we have solved on the problem lists.

Thanks for all the hard work.
andysoft
Experienced poster

Post by andysoft »

Yes, we need to know what problems are solved and which have other verdicts, otherwise it is hard to keep in mind the "to-do" list.
Now I lay me down to sleep...
my profile
asmaamagdi
New poster

Post by asmaamagdi »

Hi all,

The new site is very good but I have comments on it:

1. Why can't I view my account statistics if I'm not logged in (this was possible in the old site) & why can't I view other authors statistics to see the problems they solved.

2. When clicking on a problem link in "My Submissions" or in the "last 50 submissions" I get a page telling me that "You are not authorised to view this resource." though I'm already logged in.

3. The old site used to send me 2 mails for any submission. One of them contained my code. I really miss that. I used to keep all my Accepted codes in a folder in my mail as a reference.

4. This is something that wasn't in the old system but I really wanna have it :D. Each time I solve a new problem and wanna know my rank, I open the authors rank page and go through lots of pages till I find my name. Can you please put the rank in the profile?

Thanx very much for your efforts :D
---
Asmaa Magdi
RC's
Learning poster

Post by RC's »

I agree with you.

I really miss 2 emails that are sent to my email. They gave a lot of information, especially for compilation errors. In the new system, there is no detail reasons why it is compile error, but in the old system, there was (it was given the line number and the errors).

I also prefer easy-access URL to the problem page as Khaled. I also prefer to view all 100 problems in one page, so that I don't have to open several pages to see all the problems..
asmaamagdi
New poster

Post by asmaamagdi »

There is something I really miss in the old system which is viewing other people's accepted problems. I'm now coaching a group of student in my college & need to see who solved what problems.

Thnx in advance
---
Asmaa Magdi

Return to “General”