where to find the answers or source codes of problemssets

General topic about Valladolid Online Judge

Moderator: Board moderators

fxthomas
New poster

where to find the answers or source codes of problemssets

Post by fxthomas » Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:49 am

hi,

Can anyone tell me where to find the solutions for the problems posted here.

:lol:

dawynn
New poster

Post by dawynn » Tue Jul 16, 2002 3:30 am

But that would kill the fun!

No, seriously! That's the whole point of this website -- programming practice. The website gives the problems, with some sample input / output. Meanwhile, the judge withholds the most devious, conniving inputs and outputs. You are tasked with writing programs that not only solve the sample input / output given in the problems, but also somehow solves the tricky inputs / outputs NOT given in the problem. If everything is set up correctly, the problem statement will give enough of a bounds to the problem, that you can speculate on what the tricky inputs / outputs will be.

So effectively -- what source code there is can be found in your head. Or algorithm textbooks -- sometimes even math textbooks. Fortunately, there is also a very kind community of fellow programmers that will often help when you are stuck. Just ask about the appropriate problem on this bulletin board. Before you post a new question -- make sure to look to see if there is already a thread connected to the problem you're asking about.

From time to time, you may see source code posted on this board -- but usually it's not working quite right. If one were to copy those source listings, and make the right modifications, one could have a working program with only doing half the work. But one would lose the satisfaction of having solved the problem on one's own.

In the end, there is no one definitive answer. Because once you find a solution, yours may not be the best solution. Check the rankings to see where your solution placed amongst the other competitors. If you're satisfied with just having created a working solution, great! But if you're a true competitor -- see if you can beat the other solutions -- better time, less memory!

David

Archangel
New poster

Post by Archangel » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:07 pm

:D dawynn is right !! Got accepted is just a little meaning..What you learn from coding is the most important.

taj79
Learning poster

Post by taj79 » Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:58 pm

Is there any shortcut to see the ranking of my performance for the individual question..?

one to only see the name of 25 programmers in 1 page .....so its really too manual to check one's individual ranking.....

Caesum
Experienced poster

Post by Caesum » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:59 pm

you could try xenons program

soyoja
Experienced poster

^^

Post by soyoja » Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:24 pm

I think that quiry for algorithm, solving method is good.

But only using other programmer's source code is less help for you.

( In fact, it's a cheating. )

I have some source code which is programmed by other

wise programmer. But I hate reading that code. When I got a

wrong answer again and agin, I read these code for some reference.

But it's utility is only it. -_-

Please do it yourself.

As a result, your porgramming ability and thinking power is increased. :)

taj79
Learning poster

Post by taj79 » Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:22 am

what is xenons program?Please explain....

Caesum
Experienced poster

Post by Caesum » Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:27 am

xenons program is linked in one of the misc threads, it generates stats on all problems or a subset of problems giving your times compared to others, etc.

Subeen
Experienced poster

Post by Subeen » Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:41 am

it's absolutely unfare to read code and submit them to get them accecpted. but one can see / read the algorithms / formulas to increase his knowledge. and I think acm is not only for fun but for learning also.
and if someone can not get AC a problem he / she can post it in the board :lol:

I myself spend 2 months for some programs and finally got A.C.

so try hard and when there is a problem, there is a solution. :o

Return to “General”