Can something be done against spammers?

The forum to report every bug you find or tell us what you'd like to find in UVa OJ

Moderator: Board moderators

little joey
Guru

Can something be done against spammers?

Post by little joey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:28 pm

I've been moderator of this board for some months now, but I must say that my motivation to do it has almost reached its zero-point. While the number of genuine postings is steadily decreasing, the number of spam posting is getting to unacceptable levels. It is getting really time consuming because spammers don't only post in the honey-pot 'General' forum, but find their ways into other forums and even into existing threads. The moderation facilities of this board are far from user-friendly (there is no option to remove all post of a user in one action) and combined with the terrible slowness of the UVA host lately, moderation becomes an uninspiring and frustrating job. It's like sweeping the street with a toothbrush, while a column of vandals is constantly spilling their dirt behind your back.

I'm really considering giving up on this job, so if you could spare some time, would you care to give it to this problem. It might be that the board software should be upgraded or even replaced entirely. I don't know; I'm no expert.

I have the feeling that the amount and contents of the spam messages keeps away users, and at least doesn't motivate to comply to the forum rules.

-Joachim

mf
Guru

Post by mf » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:49 pm

Many forums usually ask some questions during registration to filter out automatic spam bots, like captcha, or ask to do a simple arithmetic calculation.
That's pretty effective, IMHO. phpbb is open-source, so it shouldn't be difficult to implement it on this board.

Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:05 pm

actually, I once planed to add some kind of registration mod for avoiding automatic registrations. But then I though "the new system is coming soon...as it will have a new forum, why spend time on this one?". I'm a bit pessimist about releasing the forum soon, so I'll try to add such a mod.

Do you know anyone (apart from Captcha)? I just want to know the possibilities.

I won't add in before 15 days anyway, tomorrow we leave to tokio!!
DON'T PM ME --> For any doubt, suggestion or error reporting, please use the "Contact us" form in the web.

Darko
Guru

Post by Darko » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Man... I removed probably 200+ posts this morning at Live Archive. They all came from 58.65.239.xxx. And there are 20 more right now (every new login posts 20 new messages).

Carlos, can you please push this one up on the list of priorities?

Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Miguel Revilla Jr has just updated the phpbb version, and is looking for a good captcha mod. Do you know anyone, so that he doesn't have to look for one?
DON'T PM ME --> For any doubt, suggestion or error reporting, please use the "Contact us" form in the web.

sohel
Guru

Post by sohel » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:29 am

It's really frustrating to see all those spams. Whenever I click the 'view post since last visit' link, I invariably see the list dominated by posts in 'General' forum and most of them - spams. :x

Until the system is upgraded, I think a few more moderators should be added to take care of those threads.

As little joey mentioned the amount and contents of the spam messages keeps away users, and at least doesn't motivate to comply to the forum rules.

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

hmm

Post by shahriar_manzoor » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Although I have administrator privilage in the board I can delete only innocent posts. But don't have the permission to delete most of the spam posts. Can it be fixed?

little joey
Guru

Post by little joey » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:23 am

sohel wrote:Until the system is upgraded, I think a few more moderators should be added to take care of those threads.
That is a good idea. I think two or three additions to the moderator team would be great. (And Shahriar, you should be given moderator rights, off course).

Carlos: I know nothing about captcha, but it sounds good. Better sooner than later.

Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:20 pm

Mmmmmmmmm....that captcha think sounded great.....but my boss in Madrid didn't agree (or something) and he sent me to Toulouse, where I have no internet connection......I hope Miguel JR does it.

Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:44 pm

I've added a captcha image in the register page. Do you think it will be enough?

A1
Experienced poster

Post by A1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:10 am

Carlos wrote:I've added a captcha image in the register page. Do you think it will be enough?
May be no..
As spams are still there.. so as a temporary solution u should increase the number of moderators who will be able to delete those posts and band those users..
you can also implements some thing like: A user will not be able to post any reply with http links until [s]he posts at least 20 link free reply..
And bad word scanning should be always there.

little joey
Guru

Post by little joey » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Hmm. I have the impression that the number of spammers has slightly decreased, but not as much as I hoped.

As suggested above, it would be a good idea to make some additions to the moderator team. I'd like to nominate Jan and mf. Both make regular visits to this board lately, are able solvers and give good advise to people seeking help. There are many others of course, which makes public nomination a bit tricky, but those two stand out in my (subjective) observation.

sohel
Guru

Post by sohel » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:37 pm

little joey wrote: I'd like to nominate Jan and mf.
I was also thinking of these two names.
I think adding two should be enough to take care of the current situation.

Darko
Guru

Post by Darko » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:10 pm

I guess it will be harder for people to create new accounts, but what about the old ones that are still posting? Carlos probably removes them, but I, for instance, can't (or couldn't find a way to do it).

Jan
Guru

Post by Jan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks Joachim for such wonderful comments. To nominate I can think of mf, sohel.
I think I can't nominate myself :D.
Ami ekhono shopno dekhi...
HomePage

Return to “Bugs and suggestions”