email notifications

The forum to report every bug you find or tell us what you'd like to find in UVa OJ

Moderator: Board moderators

little joey
Guru

email notifications

Post by little joey »

I seriously miss the email notifications. For me they were an easy way to back up my submitted code, but also to retrieve earlier versions in situations like this: write a solution to a problem, get WA, write a new version, get WA again, then realise that your first version wasn't that bad at all if you only change..., then goto your mailer to retrieve the first version.

It was also the only way to get more detailed information on compiler errors, especially for people who use other compilers/environments to write their solutions. We now see a lot of code dumped on the forums from people who want to know why their code gets CE, while the notifications could help them out.
The biggest problem with most problems is not how to solve the problem, but how to not solve what is not the problem.

Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos »

We know when it stopped working, and whay was the file that caused it....but we actually don't know why stopped working, since that file shouldn't be the one who manages emails. That's a difficult-to-solve bug, but sure we'll have a look at it!!

Abednego
A great helper

Post by Abednego »

Yes, this was a very useful feature. Firstly, right now, when you get a Compile Error, there is no way to find out what that error is. And secondly, I know several people who keep an archive of all their submitted problems in their mailbox, so now they have to submit through Submit-o-Matic and then send an email to themselves to keep that archive up to date.
If only I had as much free time as I did in college...

sumankar
A great helper

Post by sumankar »

And just to highlight how much we miss this particular feature:
a couple of days back I had logged in to TopCoder[tm] and happened
to chat with a few co-uva/topcoder-members when this particular
topic came up. And the unanimous opinion was to bring it back.

One major area where this helps a hello of a lot is during actual
contests: say, when you get a CE with a C program for using C++
comments. You can tear yourself apart for that one little bug in your
code, but you wouldn't find one.

Carlos
System administrator

Post by Carlos »

weiiiiiiii!!!! I think the problem is solved now ^^ I'm not very sure about what I've done...but I think (i hope) that everyone who said "recieve email notifications to the email i registered with" and "recieve email notifications to the email i used to send the code" will get their notification emails to the email they registered with.

I'm not 100% sure if it works for users with a recycled id (new registered users with a los id).....so can anyone tell me if it does?

By the way, I'll add the change profile site in a few days, so that all of you can change your email preferences.
DON'T PM ME --> For any doubt, suggestion or error reporting, please use the "Contact us" form in the web.

Krzysztof Duleba
Guru

Post by Krzysztof Duleba »

Great job, thanks!

little joey
Guru

Post by little joey »

Double that!
You guys deserve a big applause for your efforts to get the system back to what it was!

Abednego
A great helper

Post by Abednego »

Sweet!! A big thanks.
If only I had as much free time as I did in college...

Return to “Bugs and suggestions”