Participating in the ICPC regionals?

Post about everything you want - even if it is not related to programming or this site.

Moderator: Board moderators

Russell John
New poster

Post by Russell John » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:55 pm

Thanks goes to all the posters, this thread helped us to get to know you guys a little better!

Congratulations to Miguel Angel and all the other contestants from around the globe who has finally made it into the world finals, I wish every one of you the best of luck. For the ones who couldn't make it up to the expectations, I would like to say is that it's only through experiences of trial and failure can make your programming skills be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved. You gain strength and confidence from every experience where you really stop to look the fear in the face. The finest steel gets sent through the hottest furnace, right? What I strongly believe in is that a winner is not the one who never fails, but the one who never quits.

Thanks goes to Suman Kar to let us know about the unexpected happening at the Calcutta site (or is it Kolkata?). It reminded me of a famous quote by Guy Almes, the chief engineer of Internet2. Once he said, "There are three kinds of death in this world. There's heart death, there's brain death, and there's being off the network!". I feel pity for the newbie organizers.

And at last, but not the least, I would like to thank Mr. Shahriar Manzoor for enlightening us with some intriguing facts about this year's regionals. I take it as a pleasure to congratulate him for being selected as a judge of the ICPC world finals, yet another time. It's a matter of pride to have him between us. Best wishes, always.
1024 Programmer's Lane,
Algorithm City, United States of C++,
Planet Earth.

anupam
A great helper

Post by anupam » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:38 pm

Never think that BUET teams had enough preperations. Sometimes they participate in the regionals during the TERM FINAL exam.
So please don't comment to a university without knowning better about it.
--
"Everything should be made simple, but not always simpler"

Russell John
New poster

Post by Russell John » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:27 am

anupam wrote:Never think that BUET teams had enough preperations. Sometimes they participate in the regionals during the TERM FINAL exam.
So please don't comment to a university without knowning better about it.
--
It's a good practice to quote the poster's message when you reply. I started to get an impression that you replied to my post! :o
1024 Programmer's Lane,
Algorithm City, United States of C++,
Planet Earth.

anupam
A great helper

Post by anupam » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:59 pm

Well, i thought you all understood.
I replied the topics related to buet teams.
Thank you for your idea. I hadn't replied to your topics.
--

sumankar
A great helper

BUET:

Post by sumankar » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:34 am

Anupam,
I guess I started it all ? 8)
Well I guess I said
I liked the guys from BUET.
I do not have anything for or against other people
studying there.It's just that I thought you should
speak about the good things along side the bad ones.
And as far as the university is concerned I dont care.

Thanks for the eye opener or whatever it was,
Suman

anupam
A great helper

Re: Fudan University topped Dhaka Contest

Post by anupam » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:48 pm

Fudan University topped Dhaka Regional Contest and I thought it was a decisive victory by the Fudan guys over all other teams as they solved 6 and the 2nd best team solved 4...**.But we could not beat the best teams to represent UNSW. I think the UNSW M will beat BUET this time as well. As an Australian of Bangldeshi parents this is exciting to watch ( BUET vs UNSW battle on....**). Well as lot of BUET students may be aware of, lots of BUET CSE grads did come to UNSW for their Masters however I am not aware of any reverse happenings**. (((Even though UNSW guys does not have enough time to participate in this practice site unlike the BUET guys))) we can still beat BUET's best with vey little effort.

We will enjoy the final I guess.
How can it be thought that BUET guys have enough time to participate in this practice??? I know some guys (...) had at least 700 solutions but had no time even to test them by the OJ. Even I hadn't got enough time to solve at least 2 more problems this week. All i have solved were during the break after a semister. I think many top ranker(BUET) will agree with me.

And after all, programming is a >>fun<< for BUET students, not a >>battle<<. I know some university arrnaged at least 1 weekly contest but BUET had none even in a year.

Don't think that BUET steals other teams with great effort.

I don't want to attack any one personally. I just want to remove the wrong ideas and views about BUET.

Mastermind
New poster

Post by Mastermind » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:54 pm

What the heck is BUET? An university ranked after Harvard and MIT?

anupam
A great helper

Post by anupam » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:09 pm

whatever you think:-)) :lol:

Return to “Off topic (General chit-chat)”