Let's try to keep this forum useful for everyone!

Post about everything you want - even if it is not related to programming or this site.

Moderator: Board moderators

How should this forum be moderated?

Not at all / I don't care how it looks
4%
Just point users to their errors, but don't change anything
13%
Adjust the thread titles and lock duplicate threads
62%
Delete everything that's misposted without warning
21%

Total votes: 47

little joey
Guru

Let's try to keep this forum useful for everyone!

Post by little joey »

I think a forum is most useful if you find what you want in the fastest possible way. So I propose to follow the rules given by the admins for this forum: Just one topic for every problem, with both the problem number and the title in the subject line.

I edited the thread titles posted so far, and locked some duplicate threads. Let's try to keep this forum 'clean': not 20-30 threads for one problem, titles like '12345 HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP', etc.

Let me know what you think.

NB. I propose this for this forum (Volume CXI) only, because it is relatively new; most of the older forums are pretty cluttered up already, and it is getting quite difficult to find anything in them.
Last edited by little joey on Fri May 25, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sclo
Guru

Post by sclo »

I totally agree with that, I'm extremely frustrated by some of the older forums. It's much too difficult to find anything.

Ivan
New poster

Post by Ivan »

I do personaly believe that any attempt to go aginst the laws of nature (e.g. the second
law of thermodynamics) is doomed to fail...

FAQ
Learning poster

Post by FAQ »

I hope the Search engine can work better :( There are some strange topics when I use Search I don't see them, but when I look for by ..my eyes, I found them

btw: just a small suggestion, you can avoid it: The title of each topic should have a common form likes "[problem id] [problem name]" nothing more (likes : I need inputs, I need helps..., they can write it in the message body inside) It's easier when someone tried to search both by ids and by names

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

I guess the admins will kill me to see this suggestion :)

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

How about a drop down menu in the subject rather than allowing to make a subject in the volume forums so that users can only select problem number and title as subject. I actually have no idea whether it is possible to give such options with phpbb forums. Ofcourse other words and chitchat can have customizable subjects :).

shahriar_manzoor

OR

Or a more easier suggestion: how about only allow the moderators to create new topics. Normal users will just be able to reply. So when 10 new problems will be added moderators will create 10 new threads to discuss those problems. And the problems themselves can have a link to this thread. Some other online judges have this facility. This will make the job of Little Joey much easier (inspecting the threads) :).

vinay
Experienced poster

Re: OR

Post by vinay »

shahriar_manzoor wrote:Or a more easier suggestion: how about only allow the moderators to create new topics. Normal users will just be able to reply. So when 10 new problems will be added moderators will create 10 new threads to discuss those problems. And the problems themselves can have a link to this thread. Some other online judges have this facility. This will make the job of Little Joey much easier (inspecting the threads) :).

i totally agree with this approach , rather than locking the threads in between...
coz it breaks the continuity of talk going on betwen ppl when they come to know that they can't answer the questions asked or continue with the ideas going on in the thread... as the thread is locked.. 8)
If I will myself do hashing, then who will do coding !!!

Darko
Guru

Post by Darko »

Well, in the perfect world, new (and only) thread would be automatically created when a problem is added to the archive. I guess they could leave Algorithm, Other words and language forums open to everyone (the Other words serving as a "general" forum, General seems to be there as a spam filter only - I don't know if it is intentional, but it works).

I understand that "new and improved" judge will be easier to work with, but it is so far just a vaporware.

shahriar_manzoor

hmm

I also suggest to keeping other words and chitchat forums open.

But to prevent people from using that as problem specific threads "Please Help! 10743" I would suggest general and other words forum to be kept out of the "newpost query". When people need to see the general query they will just browse those forums.

Emilio
Experienced poster

Post by Emilio »

I agree with Shahriar. I think the best choice is create automatically the threads, and keep some "free" forums.

A1
Experienced poster

Post by A1 »

I guess forcing people to post every request in a single thread will not be a good idea! For example take this scenario where in a thread person A, B, and C is discussing some thing and in the middle of that discussion person D ask for help, as the previous discussion is not over so person A, B, or C will ignor D's post and will continue their previous discussion and thus D will never get help!!
So my suggestion to keep things more simple and easy to find is : Make forums for every single contest(offcourse under a specific volume) and title of those froums could be like this : [problem 100-110 date : xx:xx:xxxx], which means : on date xx:xx;xxxx there was a constest of 11* problems and every thing about these problems should be discuss here.

*Edit: :oops:
Last edited by A1 on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sohel
Guru

Post by sohel »

I like your idea.

Code: Select all

problem 100-110 date : xx:xx:xxxx
One simple correction :: There are actually 11 problems from 100 to 110. :D

snar
New poster

Divide the forum

Post by snar »

I think it would be fine, if we divide every volume (say starting from CXII) in 100 sections for every problem, then divide these sections in a few parts(for example WA, TLE). So, if somone have an error ERROR on problem PROBLEM, he must read the section PROBLEM->ERROR, and if that doesn't help, then he can post his question in that section.

What do you think about that?
Narek Saribekyan

Khaled_912
New poster

Re: Divide the forum

Post by Khaled_912 »

snar wrote:I think it would be fine, if we divide every volume (say starting from CXII) in 100 sections for every problem, then divide these sections in a few parts(for example WA, TLE). So, if somone have an error ERROR on problem PROBLEM, he must read the section PROBLEM->ERROR, and if that doesn't help, then he can post his question in that section.

What do you think about that?
This isn't the best idea. You'll get many posts for the same problem, in addition, threads mainly discuss the approach. Using an incorrect approach might cause a TLE or a WA, so the same thread will be usefull for both.

Return to “Off topic (General chit-chat)”