all-girl team

Post about everything you want - even if it is not related to programming or this site.

Moderator: Board moderators

rammestain
New poster

all-girl team

Post by rammestain »

Is there any rule for participating an all-girl team in world final?
I mean rule that gives positive chance to all-girl team

misof
A great helper

Post by misof »

Apart from the rule that says "Beat all other teams in your region, and you advance to the World Finals"? No. Why should there be one?

rammestain
New poster

Post by rammestain »

I said that because somwhere for year 2002 I saw this :
"a slot in the World Finals may be given to best all-girl team in Asia."

Do you know somthing similar for this year?

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

Hmm

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

I came to know from Rujia Liu that in 2004 a all girls team from Tsinghua participated in World Finals in Girl's team quota. It happened because that year their boys teams did not do well with other boys' team.

So to take that opportunity one (a girl) has to pray that their team does well among girls team and also the same university's boys' team does badly.

But I am not sure whether that rule exists this year. But in no situation two teams from same university will qualify.

erni
New poster

Post by erni »

actually it seems to me pretty chauvinistic to set any quotas based on gender or some other innate criterion. it's pretty lousy to score from being a girl in any contest especially where physical difference between men and women doesn't count. it's really offensive this kind of political correctness.

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

Hmm!

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

You are right in one sense. But in other sense this is the policy of ACM ICPC, regional importance. For example if all teams around the world was selected on one regional contest many poorer regions would not be able to send any teams. Some pretty strong teams from europe dont qualify for World finals which they might have done from some other region. Can you call this insulting? :).

I think the rule was made to inspire girls to programming.

For example if some hospital starts gents quota for nursing, to inspire gents in nursing, will it be that bad ?

DongJoo Kim
New poster

Post by DongJoo Kim »

There was a all-girls team from S Korea.

"Ewha Womans University"
you can check on the http://icpc.baylor.edu/past/icpc2002/Fi ... dings.html

They have adavanced from 2001 Seoul Regional. They were 6th place. However, they got the wild card.

Unfortunatel,y their performance on the WF was not good...

Return to “Off topic (General chit-chat)”