Who will be ACM ICPC 2006 World Final's Champion?

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

Hadi
Learning poster

Who will be ACM ICPC 2006 World Final's Champion?

Post by Hadi »

Which team do you think will be the ACM ICPC 2006 World Final's Champion?

trulo17
Learning poster

Post by trulo17 »

moscow state university performance in regionals make them favorite to me

kp
Learning poster

Post by kp »

Recently I read an interview with a femous russian programmer Petr Mitrichev a.k.a. Petr

Here it is in russian

Among other questions he was asked about chances of russian teams in ACM ICPC World Finals 2006. And his answer was smth. like "I think we will get medals, but most probably not gold"

Forgive me for my very approximate translation...

little joey
Guru

Post by little joey »

A very crude, but readable translation of this interview can be obtained by using babelfish: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... p&lp=ru_en.

Does anyone know any better automatic online translator?
The biggest problem with most problems is not how to solve the problem, but how to not solve what is not the problem.

Per
A great helper

Post by Per »

kp wrote:Recently I read an interview with a femous russian programmer Petr Mitrichev a.k.a. Petr

Here it is in russian

Among other questions he was asked about chances of russian teams in ACM ICPC World Finals 2006. And his answer was smth. like "I think we will get medals, but most probably not gold"

Forgive me for my very approximate translation...
Unless they're having a really bad year, I think he underestimates the chances of the Russian teams. No Russian team in top 4 would be very surprising, in my opinion.

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

hmm

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

My guess is chinese and russian teams will get gold medals. But this year US teams will probably do well for the following reasons:

a) ACM allowing PHD students to participate
b) They will be fresher than other teams
c) 6th sense

Also three canadian teams are quite strong this year.

kp
Learning poster

Post by kp »

2 Per:
I think results of Northern Grand Prix made Petr think so...

2 shahriar_manzoor:

I think I know one more reason:
d) contest will be in US... home sweet home :)

BTW, does anyone know who decides where to organize next World Finals?
Is there some kind of voting?
I think St. Petersburg would be a great place for such event!

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

hmm

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

I think next ACM ICPC venue will be also USA. They do it like

Two years in USA and two years outside USA.

I think prior ICPC results are considered while choosing venue. So there is no reason why Russia should not be a venue. But may be no russian institute was willing to bear such huge cost or no suitable venue (hotel and exotic location) was found. I also thought that if previous results are considered russia must be a venue.

Hadi
Learning poster

Post by Hadi »

Does anybody know who are members of "Himalaya Zerglings" ? They do very good at online contests. will they participate in this years contest?

I guess Tsinghua University will do pretty well this year, because of Lou Tiancheng. He does really great in all of online contests he participates.

Per
A great helper

Post by Per »

kp wrote:2 Per:
I think results of Northern Grand Prix made Petr think so...
Ah, I see. I would still be surprised if not a single Russian team managed to get in top 4 though. :)
kp wrote:BTW, does anyone know who decides where to organize next World Finals?
Is there some kind of voting?
I think St. Petersburg would be a great place for such event!
From what I've understood it will probably be Hawaii next, but I'm not sure.

DongJoo Kim
New poster

Post by DongJoo Kim »

Hadi wrote:Does anybody know who are members of "Himalaya Zerglings" ? They do very good at online contests. will they participate in this years contest?

I guess Tsinghua University will do pretty well this year, because of Lou Tiancheng. He does really great in all of online contests he participates.
Unfortunately, LouTianCheng(He is from team name bomber. ) failed to get the ticket to the World Finals. because three different teams from TsingHua Univ have won three different region this year. Other team from his university will go to World Finals.

There are so many great teams in this year. It's hard to say which team will win the world finals.

Petr
New poster

Post by Petr »

Per wrote:Unless they're having a really bad year, I think he underestimates the chances of the Russian teams. No Russian team in top 4 would be very surprising, in my opinion.
This year Russia doesn't have exceptionally strong teams (imho, we had two previous year (I'm being honest, aren't I?), and we got two gold medals). Our teams are good, but I can't expect "crush-them-all" performance from them.

Per
A great helper

Post by Per »

Petr wrote:
Per wrote:Unless they're having a really bad year, I think he underestimates the chances of the Russian teams. No Russian team in top 4 would be very surprising, in my opinion.
This year Russia doesn't have exceptionally strong teams (imho, we had two previous year (I'm being honest, aren't I?), and we got two gold medals). Our teams are good, but I can't expect "crush-them-all" performance from them.
Well, you're in a much better position to judge than I am, so you are probably right. Still, to make things interesting, how about a small symbolical bet of, say, $10? ;)

Petr
New poster

Taken.

Post by Petr »

Per wrote:
Petr wrote:
Well, you're in a much better position to judge than I am, so you are probably right. Still, to make things interesting, how about a small symbolical bet of, say, $10? ;)
OK :) All bets are placed.

Darko
Guru

Post by Darko »

Heh, I don't know if it is official, but seems two golds went to Russia again (not to St.Petersburg or Moscow, though).

Return to “Other words”