Eligibility Rules for 2005 Regionals

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

mafattah
New poster

Eligibility Rules for 2005 Regionals

Post by mafattah »

There is something I don't get about the ICPC regional eligibility rules. Do they mean that they will exclude all graduate students from participation this year?

I hope not.

someone2
New poster

Post by someone2 »

I never heard about this. Could you please send a link to where you found this?

I am too old anyway to participate in this, but I am just curious as to why they had to change the rules now! :)

shamim
A great helper

Post by shamim »

This is from the icpc site:
A student who has competed in two World Finals is no longer eligible to compete. A student who has competed in regional contests for five years is not eligible to compete. A student who graduated from secondary school in 2001or later is eligible to compete. A student who first began studies at an institution of higher education in 2001or later is eligible to compete.
It doesn't directly say that graduate students' aren't allowed. Participation is still possible.
Suppose one begin his undergrad studies in 2000, then it is illegal for him to participate in the regionals and by now he is obviously a graduate student( provided he had no breaks).

One way graduate students can participate is if they enrolled in undergrad studies in 2001 sep and by 2005 sep they will start their graduate courses, then they can participate in this years contests.

This is how it seems to me, but you should contact your regional director for accurate information.
A student who graduated from secondary school in 2001or later is eligible to compete.
This rule actually favors graduate students, because some institutes have 3 years undergrad courses leading to 1 year MS( what ever else applicable). That means, those graduate students will be able to participate.

mafattah
New poster

Post by mafattah »

This rule actually favors graduate students
I do not see how the rule actually favors graduate students. Graduating in 3 years is a very special case. People normally graduate in 4 and 5 years (which means that some undergraduate students in 5-year will be excluded as well). Moreover, are you sure that graduating in 3 years does not mean that you did not have an equivalent of 8 semesters of study? Here in Egypt for example, you can hardly get a Bachelors degree in less than 4 years, and it normally takes 5 years of study for some degrees, such as Engineering. I do not think after finishing the 4 years people will have an advantage over those who finish the degree in 3 years, or at a disadvantage relative to those finishing in 5 years. I believe it is all the same degree. The difference is how accelerated the program is.

P.S. To find the rules you should go to http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc/regionals/default.html, where you should follow the link "Rules" on the left.

shamim
A great helper

Post by shamim »

Yes, your point is entirely valid.
What I tried to emphasise on is, it is not totally impossible for graduating students to participate, although it is tough in general, as you have explained.

Return to “Other words”