New idea for authors rank list

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

Michael Goldshteyn
New poster

New idea for authors rank list

Post by Michael Goldshteyn » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:25 pm

How about an authors ranked list by number of times in 1st place. This is more interesting than number of problems solved. Of course the authors that solved the most problems, would be higher on the list, having a better chance of coming in first more times.

Thanks,

Michael Goldshteyn

Maniac
Experienced poster

Post by Maniac » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:24 pm

I vote against your plan: for me the fun is programming an algorithm and solving a lot of problems, not squeezing out an extra factor of 2 by a smarter implementation of the same algo. And also, Java users are completely set aside in your plan :-(
But that's just my humble opinion of course... we live in a democracy right? ;-)

Mohammad Mahmudur Rahman
Experienced poster

Post by Mohammad Mahmudur Rahman » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:31 pm

Maniac wrote:I vote against your plan: for me the fun is programming an algorithm and solving a lot of problems, not squeezing out an extra factor of 2 by a smarter implementation of the same algo.
I do agree with u. Thanks 2 Michael 4 sharing new kinds of thoughts though.
You should never take more than you give in the circle of life.

w k
Learning poster

Post by w k » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:22 am

Hi,

I think it would be nice to have - in parallel to the existing authors ranklist - the ranklist of "active" authors. As "active" I mean authors who have at least one submission during let say last 6 moths. In the current ranklist there are a lot of people who didn't submit any code for more than year. Of course this ranklist could still exist as a "All times rankilst". What do You think about this idea?

Wojciech

prince56k
New poster

Post by prince56k » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:06 pm

To w.k
i am agree with yout idea. two parellel ranklist can be maintained.
1) for all time ranklist
2) current ranklist ( those who submutted problems in last 5/6 months )

Niaz
Learning poster

Post by Niaz » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:59 pm

I have a little bit different opinions.

Problem # 1
--------------
Right now there is no way left to the previous good rank holders to claim his/her rank. For an example Mohammad Sajjad Hossain was the highest rank holder from Bangladesh and he was in the 7th place in World Ranks in the mid 2003. But right now how can he claim his credit ? People who have seen his rank can only support his credit. But this is not a proper way :( .
My Proposal : UVa can make an option that can show the height rank of a particular person. He or she may not have that rank right now, but they can at least claim their credit. Another thing, UVa can also make an option to see the instance of a particular time. It is like, if I want to see the situation of 2nd May 2003, that option will show me that thing (Rank List and my Statistics at least).

Problem # 2
--------------
We are now solving problems under two different judges. (General UVa Judge and ICPC Special Judge). Separate rank list is fine for this two different judges but a common Rank List can make the ICPC judge active. This is a true fact. I have seen many juniors lost their interest to solve problems in ICPC judge as they have the better chance to increase rank in UVa. But when they see that the effect of ICPC judge helps them to increase rank in UVa judge, they may get back their interest again.
My Proposal : UVa can make a Common Rank List besides the Separate Rank Lists.

Problem # 3
--------------
All-team rank list for online contest shows only the numbers of problem solved. But it does not show for any particular team how many contests they have attended and what is their success rate. I think this option can bring another competition among the contestants.
My Proposal : Can UVa add these options ? :)

Please do comments on these three matters.

Niaz
Please join The ACM Solver Group at Yahoo
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/acm_solver/

Return to “Other words”