creating an online bulletin board system

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

Shahid
Learning poster

creating an online bulletin board system

Post by Shahid »

is it possible to create an online bulletin board system with the help of HTML and Java?

if possible then which specific topics of java i have to master with?
is anyone know a good resource for this problem?
plz help me? thanx in advance..

- shahid<ekushe@dialnett.com>

Caesum
Experienced poster

Post by Caesum »

no you need something server side like php/perl

Stefan Pochmann
A great helper

Post by Stefan Pochmann »

As if you couldn't do something server-side with Java. Ever heard of Servlets (http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/) or JSP (http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/) ???

And via CGI you can easily use *any* programming language to produce web pages, i.e. Perl, Java, C, Shellscript, Lisp, ...

Shahid
Learning poster

specify the jargons

Post by Shahid »

hi, thanx for reply.

stefan can u explicitly name me some of the names which i should know of java? u said about servlet and jsp....i heard about them but i don't know the details. i know some basics of java....and specially i want to know wcih things i must know to create the system. suppose if jsp and servlet is necessary then i first go thruogh on them...u know java is the name of a big thing....so iwant to know which things i m ust know for building such bulletin board?

another question is: is php and perl are best suited for creating such systems?

Stefan Pochmann
A great helper

Don't know much about JSP, sorry.

Java Servlets work like this: You need a webserver program that supports them, for example Tomcat (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/). Then you write Java classes that inherit the class "Servlet" (I think) and that produce HTML code. There are also ways to get parameter values to make it interactive. It might be best to read a tutorial, you should find one at the address I gave you earlier.

Perl/PHP indeed seem to be good for web applications, but I'd say it depends on the application. For more complex applications, I'd still use Java, but for smaller ones I might use Perl. Don't know much about PHP, sorry.

One last tip: Do you want to *have* the board or do you want to *develop* it? What's your goal? I you just want to *have* one, I'd suggest using one that's already there, for example the phpbb board we're using here.

C8H10N4O2
Experienced poster

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

PHP vs JSP is just like C++ vs Java. Depends on what you like:) PHP has the unique advantage of having database accessors built-in for all kinds of DBs.

Stefan Pochmann
A great helper

I think Perl has database access built in too...

C8H10N4O2
Experienced poster

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

But not for as many different flavors as PHP does.

Shahid
Learning poster

thanx all for nice tips

Post by Shahid »

to stefan: i don't want to have this? i want to develop one.......
i have to take a java project in my university...but i don't find many options.....so i think of developing a nice bulletin board system l like this....
have u any suggestions for a good and challenging java project?

- S

Stefan Pochmann
A great helper

Uuh, that's a tough question. I'd say it highly depends on whay you're interested in. If you'd like to do some web stuff and maybe learn Java's web interface and database models or even XML, then a webboard is certainly a very interesting playground. There may be better ideas, but I can't tell you what you're interested in, sorry ;-)

Shahid
Learning poster

Post by Shahid »

hey, if i specify some area of my interest, then can u give me some idea's?
my interest is doing something with the networking side of java.................
i have done my first yr project on RSA cryptosystem..so i also hve interest in cryptography.................whenevr i goig to choose my java project i want one thing very much -i.e. i want a project in java which is best suitable in java i.e. the best way to accomplish the task is java, not other languages. for example, suppose a text editor can also be done with java, may be with swing for the interface...but the best solution for developng a text editor should be visual basic or visual c++.

so...... :roll:

C8H10N4O2
Experienced poster

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

Not if you wanted to make a multi-platform text editor. Add multi-platform to anything and you get a java problem:)

Stefan Pochmann
A great helper

One thing that really screams for Java is an online contest with an arena applet, containing lots of cool stuff, completely done in Java. You could call it TopCoder, for example. Oops, I just realized that this already exists... But maybe you have an idea that could use similar technology, for example a game or sth...

Stefan Pochmann
A great helper

R.I.P. Perl

After learning PHP, I have to say: Use PHP, not Perl.

- I like the language syntax/semantics itself much more than in Perl, especially when it comes to classes/objects and other types.

- You can embed it in HTML (yes, I know there's embedded Perl, too, but PHP is really intended for this purpose).

- It has lots and lots and lots of functions and modules already built-in to do about everything that can come to your mind when writing a web-application.

Of course, for really large applications I might still use Java, but PHP seems to be pretty cool, too (I just learned it, haven't done much with it yet...).

Shahid
Learning poster

can anyone help???

Post by Shahid »

hi all,
i also started leanring PHP as i found it mandatory and very effective for database integration and building dynamic web portals. But i faced a problem installing PHP.

fast i want to know, what is the indication or measurement by whom i can understood that php is installed properly with the server and working??

at fast i am going to install PHP 4.2 with apache 2 . But there i can't install it as a module, all the time i configured it as a module(i didn't make any wrong in the configuration acording to the manual) , but all the time i going to start the server it said either one of the library files is missing or the device attached to the system is not funtioning.

then i tried to load it as cgi script ... then they server can run, but when i tried to run a php file(fro example one of the files of the php bb bulletin board or a sample php script) i just see teh codes instead of the page. so i thought php is not installed properly.

then i thought the problem may be with the apache 2, so i download and install apache 1.3. then i could run the server after configuring php as module, thouugh i found the following error in the server log file:

//[Wed Sep 11 02:47:55 2002] [warn] module mod_php4.c is already added, skipping
[Wed Sep 11 02:48:12 2002] [error] Cannot remove module mod_php4.c: not found in module list
Apache server shutdown initiated...//

but the server is running, it can show the local host test file...
but as for the php files the condition is same like previous.

plz give me some suggestion.

thanx in advance.

Return to “Other words”