New: Submit-o-matic

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

fpnc
System administrator

New: Submit-o-matic

Post by fpnc »

Please refer to http://acm.uva.es/board/viewtopic.php?p=1697 to find the notice. It worths your time, so please read it!

Use this thread to place comments about this new feature.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Fernando N
Last edited by fpnc on Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,

Fernando N

Adrian Kuegel
Guru

Post by Adrian Kuegel »

There is a error in your readin function, because all " " becomes \" \" and I get Compile Error.

C8H10N4O2
Experienced poster

Post by C8H10N4O2 »

Adrian's right...:) Also, please add a location for the "comment" field.

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

I think problems about " and ' are fixed now.
BTW, we are not adding the comment field; what is more, we are planning to remove it, because sometimes people use it to bother other users, and it really doesn't provide so much useful information.

Let's hope it works now: http://acm.uva.es/problemset/submit.php
Best regards,

Fernando N

erdos
New poster

Comment field

Post by erdos »

Hi,

I think comment field is very useful, altough some people indeed use it improperly.Reading the comment field can give us a quick hint of something. (Like some special cases, it has helped me some times).
You may argue the forum is here to help about that but many problems don't yet have a thread.
It would be useful if we could set our own comment in the submit-o-matic (and a link to it in the main page).

Another thing, do you have any idea why on yesterday contest only cin and cout worked ? I got angry because I did the 2 of the problems in C and I keep getting wrong answer, when I did them in C++, not changing anything else they got accepted! (Not to talk about the submission penalties I got because of the '\0' bug in submit-o-matic... It seems mail submissions were not working for me yesterday )

Regards,

Jos

Caesum
Experienced poster

Post by Caesum »

I would also add that the comment field has been useful to me when I have had problems with a certain problem. There are many useful comments about formats and judge problems which have not been added to the problem statements (example:199, the sample data is incorrect but this has not been corrected in the problem statement). Also some people do indicate useful comments, and if I think I can add some useful hint when completing a problem that I have had difficulties with then I do it. You should concentrate on cleaning up the comments, and maybe warning persistent offenders of misuse about their abuse.

Any ideas why email has stopped, if everyone is using the submit.php then is it your mail server ? Its just that I now have a few solutions in transit :)

Ivan Golubev
Experienced poster

Post by Ivan Golubev »

fpnc wrote:we are planning to remove it, because sometimes people use it to bother other users
How about "we are planning not to remove it, because most people use it to share usefull information"?

I don't think that it's a good idea to remove comment field and I don't think that it's good idea to automatically place "Submit-o-matic v4" into comment field, especially when there no other alternatives to submit solutions! It also can be count as bothering...

And, yes, problem with " and ' now fixed but only if solution goes directly to judge, i.e. if there some error (incorrect problem number, for example) submit.php returns damaged source code.

Anycase, submitting via e-mail is much better...

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

erdos wrote: You may argue the forum is here to help about that but many problems don't yet have a thread.
It would be useful if we could set our own comment in the submit-o-matic (and a link to it in the main page).
1. If there is no thread, create it.
2. A link to it in the main page -- sorry, it is there now.
Caesum wrote: (example:199, the sample data is incorrect but this has not been corrected in the problem statement). ... You should concentrate on cleaning up the comments, and maybe warning persistent offenders of misuse about their abuse.

Any ideas why email has stopped, if everyone is using the submit.php then is it your mail server ? Its just that I now have a few solutions in transit
1. Mail problemset at acm.uva.es and tell them what you think is wrong in problem 199. They'll create a "fixing mistakes" page for that problem.
2. If we should concentrate on cleaning up the comments, we would do nothing more than that. From 2002/07/01 to 2002/07/28 (less than a month) we've had only 55,515 submissions in the general judge and 5,567 in contests! How can we review and fix the comments of each one! We are now redesigned the entire Judge System, and we feel that the comments are not a priority. We have decided to avoid that field from the submit-o-matic, but maybe we could provide it later.
3. I've got no idea what is happening with mail. I'd be happy if someone could give me more information or ideas about this point.
Best regards,

Fernando N

Caesum
Experienced poster

Post by Caesum »

I'm not sure what else I can tell you about the email. Emails sent on Friday night (its now Sunday afternoon here) have had no response as yet. I have sent emails from three separate accounts situated in different places (2 are in the US I believe, and one is my ISPs int the UK. Normally my isp email does not arrive at acm for maybe an hour or more but the other two accounts are normally instantaneous. Ive had no responses back on any of them, no server messages saying they are being held anywhere for retries or anything, they just seem to have disappeared somewhere.

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

It seems it's true that you can't please everybody. Added the comment field to the webpage. I hope you'll enjoy it so much.

Ivan Golubev
Experienced poster

Post by Ivan Golubev »

fpnc wrote:2. If we should concentrate on cleaning up the comments, we would do nothing more than that. From 2002/07/01 to 2002/07/28 (less than a month) we've had only 55,515 submissions in the general judge and 5,567 in contests! How can we review and fix the comments of each one!
Actually you need not to check all submissions (especially contests' submissions), it's enough to check ranklist -- there is about 20000 users (actually much less active users) and about 950 problems. It's easy to extract all comments and check them out.

I've make small program for such analyze, it checks ranklist up to 500 (or so) positions and create file with all comments. The results for volumes 101 & 102:
101: 13201 records found, 2894 comments found (1251 different)
102: 10108 records found, 2005 comments found (859 different)

After that I've quickly check results files and found only three accounts with comments that can be treated as definitely annoying!

So... isn't it easier to ban these accounts than remove comment field and make much more people unhappy?

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

Ivan Golubev wrote:So... isn't it easier to ban these accounts than remove comment field and make much more people unhappy?
And what difference will it make? What would disallow those people to register again in the Judge system? And I suppose you haven't realized that the comment field is now included in the submit-o-matic page.
Best regards,

Fernando N

Ivan Golubev
Experienced poster

Post by Ivan Golubev »

fpnc wrote:
Ivan Golubev wrote:So... isn't it easier to ban these accounts than remove comment field and make much more people unhappy?
And what difference will it make? What would disallow those people to register again in the Judge system?
Yes, you're right -- they can register again but I don't think that they will again post annoying comments, this site wasn't created for such things and I don't think that their main aim is to annoy people. Also you can create a list with banned words/phrases and just reject solutions where comment field contains some banned word (as a really cruel method -- report "Wrong Answer" on any such submission).
fpnc wrote:And I suppose you haven't realized that the comment field is now included in the submit-o-matic page.
I've realized that, thanks a lot! I've just wanted to show percentage of normal comments and annoying ones. And as you can see almost all people using comments without bothering each other.

Caesum
Experienced poster

Post by Caesum »

fpnc wrote:
And what difference will it make? What would disallow those people to register again in the Judge system?
I would think that requesting these people not to do it again would be enough, but it is like anything on the internet that is prone to abuse, like bulletin boards for example, and how you can deal with it - removing accounts, banning IPs, etc. You can only take whatever measures you can. My thoughts are that if someone has a specific complaint against some particular comment then they would report it to you as abuse, and you could then investigate further, rather than simply deleting all comments and stopping the use thereof. Its like saying someone has posted something offensive on the board and so you are going to remove the board because it serves no purpose! By the way, I am presuming most of the time that you have some simple way of extracting things from your databases, at least that it is accessible though SQL and so you can just run some simple queries against it.

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

Caesum wrote:By the way, I am presuming most of the time that you have some simple way of extracting things from your databases, at least that it is accessible though SQL and so you can just run some simple queries against it.
... but we haven't. We are in process of transforming the system into an SQL-oriented system, but until then we are quite limited (running bash scripts and so on). So that is the reason for me to ask you to be patient, because we have to finish that transformation before doing a lot of things we want to do.
Best regards,

Fernando N

Return to “Other words”