An Important Request !!!!!!!!!!

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

An Important Request !!!!!!!!!!

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

Please don't distribute your solutions against requests via emails. May be one person is trying to gather codes in different identities. Generally code helps little, suggestions is much more helpful.
Last edited by shahriar_manzoor on Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anupam
A great helper

Post by anupam »

yes i support only suggestions and no code.
thanks for monzoor bhai's post..
:oops: :oops: :oops:
"Everything should be made simple, but not always simpler"

ec3_limz
Learning poster

Post by ec3_limz »

Please don't distribute your solutions against requests via emails. May be one person is trying to gather codes in different identities.
Also, certain people may be solving ACM problems as part of their homework, so sending them the solutions via email is equivalent to doing their homework for them. This is not very fair to others who are doing their homework on their own.
Generally code helps little, suggestions is much more helpful.
I strongly agree with this point. There is no point reading someone's code if you do not understand it at all.

r.z.
Learning poster

Post by r.z. »

I agree with you.

It will make people lazy.....
:evil:

Moni
Experienced poster

Post by Moni »

I agree that codes help little and suggestions help more. It
ImageWe are all in a circular way, no advances, only moving and moving!

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

Explanation!

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

I don't want to mention any names as surely people will not use their original identity always. For example anyone can ask for codes using your name. So this practice can be stopped and I have got many emails asking for codes.

I think asking for code is not right because it is very difficult to draw a line between legal and illegal when one one is looking at an accepted solution. Many codes of this site are available on the internet. So if those which are not available are made available the first page of the ranklist will soon become a homeground of che...s.

makbet
New poster

Post by makbet »

Sometimes having someones source code is useful when you want to test your program against random-generated test cases. I think some people practice this.
Another thing is that people often send their buggy code to the forum, asking what's wrong in it. Then someone tells them exactly where's the bug, and it's pretty easy for some third party people to take the code, fix the mistakes and get AC. I know of several examples of this.

Joseph Kurniawan
Experienced poster

Post by Joseph Kurniawan »

Well, I think it's okay to share codes if they've already solved it!!
(Well, maybe except like ec3_limz said if the person asking for the source code for the prob he hasn't solved, it would be unfair). :wink: :wink:
There are 3 things one need to be successful : motivation, ability and chance. And if you're a believer, make it four : God's will.

yahoo
Learning poster

Post by yahoo »

I also agree with Shahriar. 8) 8) 8)

Dominik Michniewski
Guru

Post by Dominik Michniewski »

So I think, that posting non-Acc code is good, but it's strongly neccessary, that after getting info what is wrong, we should remove such spoiler from board ... I posted some of my source codes, but when I got info, that someone solve my problem with it I immediately remove such code from board - but I post code only when I am desperated and really frustrated ...
I want to ask my questions and not post code and wait for other people making work for me ...

A propos exchanging code with other person, which solve problem - why not ? it's very good way to see, how in other ways we can improve time complexity or memory usage .... That's a very good way to do it ...

I see in one of post web address of page which contians many of sample IO's for problems - I think that it's good idea - we, if we cannot find our mistakes , have a chance to do it, when our program fails in some cases ...

Best regards
DM
If you really want to get Accepted, try to think about possible, and after that - about impossible ... and you'll get, what you want ....
Born from ashes - restarting counter of problems (800+ solved problems)

yahoo
Learning poster

Post by yahoo »

Dominik you are 100% correct. :D :D :D

Russell John
New poster

Post by Russell John »

Some kids never grows up... :D

Copy/Paste will lead you no where.
1024 Programmer's Lane,
Algorithm City, United States of C++,
Planet Earth.

veron
New poster

Post by veron »

yeah,it's not so fair to exchange code with other.If he solve it then it another fact.

But what we can say about some website which is called by them "ACM SOLVER SITE".Is it fair or any....

I think it's time to say about this unauthorized web site.

asarefin
New poster

Easy to say, but difficult to do!

Post by asarefin »

yeah,it's not so fair to exchange code with other.If he solve it then it another fact.

But what we can say about some website which is called by them "ACM SOLVER SITE".Is it fair or any....

I think it's time to say about this unauthorized web site
Here goes our reply - Please be patient.. :D
Last edited by asarefin on Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
ACM SOLVER

asarefin
New poster

Easy to say, but difficult to do!

Post by asarefin »

Hello

Well, you have expressed your comment/mentality so roughly :-?

Anyway, there are several types of people in this world. Some of them born with golden spoon in his/her mouth and some other is not. Some get different types of helps/ inspirations and some get nothing at all.

Dear Mr. Veron it's really extremely easy thing to through any type of words, but it's really difficult to do some thing better! (We always realize it!)

It's true, Acmsolver Site, is going through a Trial and error basis experiments to find a way to inspire people. We are going through a process of updation, but unfortunately we are not the experts and have several limitations.

Still we welcome you to have a look at our activities and if you find any thing wrong please tell us to make it correct (Ofcourse Spcifically!).

Here is the link to our site : http://www.acmsolver.org/.

Great programmers like Adrian, Shahriar Manzoor, Steven Halim ( Please don't consider them in a same level, as I have written the names in one line!)or else sometime try help others in different ways. They make sites, Papers, post messages etc. Some newcomers like http://www.acmbeginner.tk also making site for helping people. Infact, it may be a nature of Humanity to help each other! (also there's another nature ie. to criticize, doing harm! and publishize himself by making some unexpected activities/posts).

Our Request is, when you try to do so, please don't take it personally! Please don't press your personal jelousy, choice or dischoice on everyone. We always welcome any better works than ours.

For example http://www.caatbd.com/ is an excellent/good looking web site for hosting programming contest local and international at a same time. They are trying to divert programming contest in different dimension same as http://www.topcoder.com/

Mark Detinger's site
http://www.informatik.uni-ulm.de/pm/mitarbeiter/mark/
Steven Halim's Site
http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~stevenha/index.htm

are the best examples of hand made non-profressional programming websites, which may give you much fun! We always inspire you to go with your own activities.

From Acmsolver, we have removed all valladolid specific problem solution a long time ago! We have specified many times in this board, magazines, newspapers and on emails.

You may find some links to important routines (like Big integer etc.) from our site (Credit goes to http://www.acmbeginner.tk for making these routines available).But Now at this moment we are much emphasizing on inspiraing people by writing/ publishing columns, interviews and Tutorials etc.

About Authorization, we are also concerned. We are also much concerned with the reputation and standards of our site. Thanks to Google listing our site as a help site next to Steven Halim's world of seven. You can try it using "acm valladolid" on Search Engines!

Take care and wish you all the best. :wink:

Regards
Ahmed Shamsul Arefin
ACM SOLVER

Return to “Other words”