Why non related subjects?

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

Gold Burg 2003
New poster

Why non related subjects?

Post by Gold Burg 2003 »

Recently some poster are posting some non programming related things in the board. Don't they have any common sense. I think every poster will agree with me aginst this kind of nonsenses.

Such kind of nonsense is Moni.

Moni Wrote:
Hello! Everybody!

“Happy Mother’s day” to all! First I thought that I should not write it here! As I have written many non-programming related topics here!

But suddenly a voice inside me said “You, have written thousand lines of programs for your career, for praise but have you ever written anything so attentively about the person who have brought you in this nice universe! Have always taken care of you when you were baby, still love you more than anything in this world – your MOTHER!”.

No! I didn’t.

“Ma! Not only this day I am dedicating all my days to you!”

Won’t you write few ASCII characters for your mother ?
I hope it will be stopped.

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

It's time for me to say a few words.

Firstly, I'm one of the moderators of the board. So, why do I let these kind of topics to appear?

Then, I don't have enought time to check each post.
What is more, and related to the previous, I think all of you would agree I should spend my time making the system better than deleting posts here in the board.

Another reason: I've seen some topics and posts about the recent war. See http://acm.uva.es/board/viewtopic.php?t=2566 . There are 13 posts from 11 different people in that thread, and I can see nobody complained about this thread.

And what if I would have deleted that thread? You'd have called me "censor" or something like that. Shall I delete all the posts which doesn't refer to acm.uva.es? If so, I'd delete http://acm.uva.es/board/viewtopic.php?t=2576 which is the topic for "World Finals 2003 Discussion Thread" - I think you really don't want me to do this!

Nevertheless, I understand that some people don't want to see that kind of messages. So I've renamed the old "misc" board to "other words" and I've changed its description to state it'll be used for misc messages related to programming. I've created a new category called "Misc" with a "Off topic" board in which you can post about other non-programming related subjects.

To finish, this is my point of view. I have no time to and I don't feel like censoring in this board, although I reserve my right to delete or remove any post if I find them particulary disgusting. As long as this kind of messages that Moni have written are placed in the new Off topic board, I have nothing to complain. Please be careful about the contents and try not to offend anyone. I'll try to move all the off-topics in the old misc board to this new one. I hope this way we will have non-programming topics away from the on-topic ones, and everyone will be happy. The alternative: I'll change each board to moderate status, and your posts will suffer a delay of about 24h before being posted...
Best regards,

Fernando N

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

Hmm! Robots is all that u need

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

Hmm! I think as we are not robots so we shall have some off-topics. Instead of Mother's Day if it was Merry Christmas or Happy New Year I think no one would have complained. I think uncommon topics like mothers day can be avoided, and so can one's feeling towards mother but again that is not that desturbing and everyone has or had mother.

If the first subject of a message is more meaningful then people can feel more comfortable. For example with the problem number we can also use the problem title otherwise some again has to search the index page to see which problem is being discussed.

anupam
A great helper

Post by anupam »

hello,
i don't think us to be a robot one and thus if someone writes anything not related with programming, i don't mind.
because every post has a topic heading and thus can easily be recognized.
if you don't like the topic just ignore it.
let another ro see it.
so there is nothing to cencer.
---
i think sometimes i am wrong, but i don't know whether this time i am correct or no..
--
anupam :oops: :oops: :oops:
"Everything should be made simple, but not always simpler"

veron
New poster

Post by veron »

YES,we are not a robot but we have some system.Without system any activity cannot fullfil.

what anupam said I am not fully agree with him.He told on subject.But I think acm eletronic board is something different for us.All programmer submit or discuss about their programming skills.

But it is not any type of street Advertising Board where it have subject or not,it does'nt matter.

This board for all programmer for their activity,not anything else......

veron

anupam
A great helper

Post by anupam »

well, what i said that it is better to post a perfect subject so that all can easily understand what the thread is belonging to..
and nothing else.
i never tell anything abt not posting or abt the subject matter.
so don't misunderstand my speakings.
--
anupam

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

Let's put it straight

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

Well I have to put some explanation now:

I think this site is driven by mostly by heart and less by brain. Now in course of time this site has got a lot of popularity and ofcourse people related to it has got some recognitions. At the beginning things started like "Let's arrange a contest, let the other people think about my thoughts." There were situations when some people with ample free times for contest like me, Alex Gevak, Rezaul Alam Chowdhury, Rujia Lui, Gordon Cormack etc arranged contest just out of curiousity. Now sometimes we have to reject contests.

Many of you will be surprised to know that me and the people of Valladolid site (Specially prof. Miguel) has never met in person. Last World Finals was a great chance for that but eventually we could not meet due to visa problem and somewhat my ego problem later. That's why in a post I showed my emotion against USA.

You can talk about free trade, good job, terrorism, world economy, intelligence, visa's etc but none of these are the root of this site, I think it is heart, caring for each other that drives this site. People like Derek Kisman, Yarin etc they don't need to help us for free, but yet they do and that's because of their heart although they have best of brains. So I am afraid there will be off topics (chit chat :) ) and people will sometimes show their emotions.

anupam
A great helper

Post by anupam »

yeh, i also want to tell your points. many of us who are old to valladolid( ofcourse if u think i am not) havn't meet one another. but by the help of eboards we can share our talkings ,we can share our thoughts, can we share our problems. but if any one thinks that this board be related only with strickly problems in algorithm, coding problem etc. he may be mistaken. else he is like a robot.
bcz i know, like shariar bhai, i describes my feeling to another great programmers allover in the world by the help of this board.
so lets the board be full with life not codes.
===
if i am mistaken any correction is welcome. :oops: :oops:

veron
New poster

Post by veron »

Yeah,it's great.I think adminstrator of the board take a real work on that.There is a new area CHIT CHAT.It' a great initiative by the admin.Now you can't ask any political or any social debat on the board.

Ofcourse we are not robot.If anyone misunderstand by word,I am realy sorry for that.

At last, it's a nice thing from anupam
"so lets the board be full with life not codes"

Thanks anupam.......

Return to “Other words”