Pascal, C, C++ or Java ? !!!

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

What programming language you like most?

Pascal
11%
C
33%
C++
48%
Java
7%

Total votes: 27

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

Julien Cornebise wrote:
fpnc wrote:If you need portability and speed is not a problem, say Java, or if you can wait, .NET/go-Mono.
.NET portable :o ???? Isn't it a Microsoft-made product ? So before it runs on a Unix, pigs may fly, don't you think so ?
http://www.go-mono.com/
Best regards,

Fernando N
Sajid
Learning poster

portability

Post by Sajid »

Is .NET portable?
Sajid Online: www.sajidonline.com
fpnc
System administrator

Re: portability

Post by fpnc »

Sajid wrote:Is .NET portable?
C# is a true standard (by ECMA) and CIL (equivalent to bytecode in Java) is too. It means that everyone can use them - not as Java which you know Sun is in judgements with Microsoft for it.

So it is well known the syntax for C# and how to generate and interpretate CIL. There are at least two steps yet to have a full language: a compiler and an CIL-interpreter. And "go-mono" people are developing them. (Really it is a bit more complicated, but I cannot explain the whole of it here).

Portable? Well, Microsoft won't develop a compiler for other platforms than Windows. But .NET itself is designed to be portable; there are some steps to be done in each platform before reaching 100% portability, though.

I would say, from my point of view, that C#.NET is more standard (and more portable when everything is done, that is the reason for me to say "if you can wait") than Java, as C#'s syntax and CIL bytecode are trully standard. But I know that GNU-people and pro-Linux-people will not see this as I do. I won't argue more on this because I think this is not the better place to do it, and every one can think what he wants.
Best regards,

Fernando N
Sajid
Learning poster

thanxxx

Post by Sajid »

thanx fpnc..

you r really Grea8 helpful... :wink:
Sajid Online: www.sajidonline.com
szymcio2001
New poster

Re: confirmation

Post by szymcio2001 »

bery olivier wrote:C++ has some built functions like hastable, but it's slower. The inputs / outputs are easier than in C.
I agree that the input / output is easier in C++. You can use streams which are very easy to use and what is the most important they are faster than functions from <stdio.h> There are also many other futures that C doesn't have and C++ has. But I think that this one is the most important when solving problems.

Return to “Other words”