Pascal, C, C++ or Java ? !!!

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

What programming language you like most?

Pascal
11%
C
33%
C++
48%
Java
7%

Total votes: 27

Sajid
Learning poster

Pascal, C, C++ or Java ? !!!

Post by Sajid »

Which one is the prefferable programming language to do the problems? Pascal, C, C++ or Java. And why?? Plz, eXplain.
Sajid Online: www.sajidonline.com
bery olivier
Learning poster

definitly C

Post by bery olivier »

I don't know Pascal, but I think that C and java are the best. The fact that they are the most popular languages is not a chance. In my opinion, you can do things faster in C (I always use C) cause you write almost everything. Java could be useful for some problem as lots of things are already done and you don't have to write all from scratch.
I will check this monday and post another reply. It could have said silly things (hope not :wink: ).
Not AC yet Image AC at last Image
Sajid
Learning poster

Thanx

Post by Sajid »

Thanx for your post. U tried to help me. In fact, u helped me... :wink: :D
Anyway, what about C++? Is not better than C??? I want to know.
And thanx again..
C ya...
bery olivier
Learning poster

Post by bery olivier »

Sajid wrote: Anyway, what about C++? Is not better than C??? I want to know.
There are not many differences between C and C++. I wouldn't say that it is better.Actually, I never tried C++ for any problem and I don't even know why it's used here. I use C (or java if built functions are needed) for algorithms prgramation and C++ (or GTK :roll: ) for graphics.
I nevertheless will get confirmation for Monday.
Sajid
Learning poster

thanx

Post by Sajid »

There are not many differences between C and C++. I wouldn't say that it is better.Actually, I never tried C++ for any problem and I don't even know why it's used
I also never tried C++. what is the good practice, C or C++?
by the way, what is GTK?

Thanx again...
bery olivier
Learning poster

Post by bery olivier »

I only use C, but a lot of people seem to prefer C++. So I won't say C is better.
It's not really important for the contest, but GTK mean Gimp ToolKit. It was created by the Gimp programmers. It's a tool based on an infinite loop whitch allow to use the mouse and the keyboard in real time. It a C-upgraded language. But it only work on linux :( (and maybe others unix).
Sajid
Learning poster

Post by Sajid »

.... What about the Compilar of the Judge in acm.uva ? what is the name??
bery olivier
Learning poster

confirmation

Post by bery olivier »

C goes very fast, it's the most taught and it's the easier to use with Linux :D .
C++ has some built functions like hastable, but it's slower. The inputs / outputs are easier than in C.
Java is still slower but there is a lot of useful things (hashtable, BigInteger, BigDecimal, lists already done, automatic dynamic allocation).
Pascal is an old language. I was told it's not really efficient but it's accepted by the OJ cause it's still very taught.
thanks Julien
Julien Cornebise
Experienced poster

Re: confirmation

Post by Julien Cornebise »

thanks Julien[/quote]

You're welcome Olivier ;)))
Julien Cornebise
Experienced poster

[quote="bery olivier"]
It's not really important for the contest, but GTK mean Gimp ToolKit. .... But it only work on linux :( (and maybe others unix).[/quote]

Just a small post to tell that GTK has been ported on other systems, such as Windows (for example).
But anyway, even GTK-based programs written to run on a Linux plateform need some arrangements done before being able to compile on a Windows machine. If you need a portable piece of software, with easy-to-develop interface, I'd advise you to use Java, though it's horribly slow (it has been speeded-up since the beginning thanks to on-the-fly-compiling virtual machines, but it still remains really slow... as we say here in France, one cannot have both the butter and the money for the butter : OOP Language, portable, with dynamic linking, and speed :).

Well, end of the parenthesis, wich has nothing to see with the contest - except maybe the curiosity that bring us all trying to solve those damned problems ;)

Julien
fpnc
System administrator

Re: confirmation

Post by fpnc »

bery olivier wrote:Pascal is an old language. I was told it's not really efficient but it's accepted by the OJ cause it's still very taught.
Pascal is still with us because these kinds of problems can be solved with it, and more important, I use it :P. And since Borland is making a very good compiler called Delphi / Kylix, I would say it is still alive.
Best regards,

Fernando N
Sajid
Learning poster

Post by Sajid »

Thanx to u all, guys..

and what about the Real Life programming? what is prefferable?
fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

My opinion: it depends on the kind of programs you're going to develop. For example - in Windows -, for those horrible programs to make bills and manage customers, VB/Delphi. System utilities can be done using Delphi or VC. In Linux I would say that C/C++ are almost the only option, because Kylix is not very spread yet. For web interface in both Windows and Linux, say php and/or perl. For Windows-only web interface, asp. If you need portability and speed is not a problem, say Java, or if you can wait, .NET/go-Mono.
Best regards,

Fernando N
Sajid
Learning poster

Post by Sajid »

Thanx fpnc for ur reply.....

now, i want to know, how have we gained by solving problems in this site or any other programming contest? plzz, eXplain...
Julien Cornebise
Experienced poster

fpnc wrote:If you need portability and speed is not a problem, say Java, or if you can wait, .NET/go-Mono.
.NET portable :o ???? Isn't it a Microsoft-made product ? So before it runs on a Unix, pigs may fly, don't you think so ?

Return to “Other words”