Who knows how to write an online judge system?

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

Yu Wei
New poster

Post by Yu Wei » Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:40 pm

I want to ask several questions about how to write an online judge system. Who can tell me how to write it? I've just got to know some outlines and technics to write such kind of a system. But still I have some technical questions. Will any one can tell me how to write it? Or can the webmaster here answer it? I prefer Windows NT/2000/XP platforms. But no matter if it's under Linux because I can port them manually.

Thanks in advance.

pochmann
New poster

Post by pochmann » Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:00 pm

First a question: Why do you want to do this? For example, if you want to setup a contest, it might be easier to let the Valladolid people run it. Or look at PC^2 (http://www.ecs.csus.edu/pc2/). Same thing if you have some problems you'd just like to state. The spainers specifically ask for problems, see http://acm.uva.es/contest/call.html

In unix, you can usually (?) have a .forward file in your home directory that defines where mails should be redirected. They can even be redirected (piped into) programs, for example a submission receiver program. Don't know if this is a fast solution, maybe a plugin for the mail-server would be better.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest. Maybe you can ask more specific questions? Or tell some details, like how secure you want it to be and how fast it has to be. For example, if you just want it for you and some friends, these criteria are not that important and a simple solution might suffice.

Stefan

Yu Wei
New poster

Post by Yu Wei » Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:55 am

I want to write for interest as well as conveniece. That's boring to mail to a remote server and waiting for a reply. I'd prefer to do that myself. Still I want to learn some programming technics.

pochmann
New poster

Post by pochmann » Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:25 am

If you're doing it for interest, you'll surely find a lot of stuff you can play with :wink:

For convenience? I don't know. If you have the problems and in/outputs anyway, then why bothering using an online judge?

On the other hand, read http://acm.uva.es/p/universities.html
(also reachable from the start page as "Collaboration ..."). If you want to contact the spainers, an email might be good. Shahriar recently gave me this advice, since they seem to not read the board too frequently because of some troubles or sth like that...

Stefan

Yu Wei
New poster

Post by Yu Wei » Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:27 pm

I've sent a mail, waiting for reply....

suman
New poster

Post by suman » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:58 pm

Hi,
I have written a Judging System, just for fun. it can compile any configured language (theoratically at least). I have tested it with Turbo C++ 3.0 , Borland C++ 5.5 (Free Version) , and JDK 1.3 . However I could not provide lot time in it. It has some inability. It can't restrict some function, memory can't be restricted. I implemented it under win98 se, can be imported to other platform as well.
By the way you can try the PC square plus E form the waterloo university.

If you have any question please mail me at udvranto@yahoo.com .

- Suman

Longman@KillerTeamZJU
New poster

Post by Longman@KillerTeamZJU » Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:38 am

I've implemented a most working online judge system, it is running on linux platform.currently my problem is that the current kernel version 2.4 did not fully implemented the traditional sysv/bsd getrusage() funciton, so it is hard to calculate how much memory a program used. Although we managed to restrict program memory usage. What we did is inserting a kernel module which will monitor sys_brk calls and when a process exceeded its memory limit it will be killed. We are searching for better solution...

Return to “Other words”