General maximum time limit of 5 seconds for online contests

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

What maximum for the time limit do you want?

5 seconds
27%
10 seconds
40%
15 seconds
17%
20 seconds
3%
25 seconds
3%
30 seconds
10%
Don't know. But I agree that it has to be lower than the current 30 seconds.
No votes

Total votes: 30

Stefan Pochmann
A great helper

General maximum time limit of 5 seconds for online contests

Post by Stefan Pochmann »

In every online contest, the server is virtually dead. Dead, dead, dead! Mails get lost, the website takes forever to load. Why? Because there are always solutions that run forever, which usually means the full 30 seconds. And that's not the fault of the contestants, but of the problem setters.

I demand that the maximum time limit for online contests is 5 seconds. Today, there were always four B-solutions running 30 seconds and dozens of other solutions had to wait. Of course just lowering the time limit will make some solutions fail, so the problem setters also have to choose lower limits. That might make the problem less interesting, but it's better than a dead judge.

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

I think as it was a quilification contest for UVA the time limits had to be like those in real contests. But generally, we try to keep the time limits as small as possible (Even one second). But many class problems need a lot run time and we have to provide higher time limits for them.

Ivan Golubev
Experienced poster

Post by Ivan Golubev »

But now default time limit is 10 seconds not 30, isn't it? As I can understand this applies to "normal" submitions and online contests. However I'm also can't realize why problem B has that large time limit. It was possible to make small judge input to run within, say, 5 seconds and reject brute-force solutions. My accepted (not so bad) solution runs for 18 seconds...

Looks like that current judge system physically cannot handle such huge number of submitions and users. It will be nice if uva team will be able to upgrate their system. The easiest way is to use dual PIII-800 system (as I can understand currently there is only one CPU), it won't affect current running times (so new rejudgement isn't needed) and will just nearly double performance. Cost of upgrate also not so high -- about $300 - $400. Just a thoughts...

Dominik Michniewski
Guru

Post by Dominik Michniewski »

I also think that 30 seconds is too much for solutions ... 10 seconds is accurate.

But, I have a thought - Could judge i.e. add a new column to problem index , in which he tell us what a time limit has this problem ?? It's a big problem sometimes, if I don't know how long my solution my run ... :-(

I.e. I got TLE on 10000 (Longest Match) after 2 seconds !

Caesum
Experienced poster

Post by Caesum »

and 1minute 40 seconds for problem 10290 is way too much time. This should be max 30 seconds, and from the times that people do get you can do it in under 10 seconds with just a little effort

Sajid
Learning poster

Re: Reply

Post by Sajid »

shahriar_manzoor wrote:I think as it was a quilification contest for UVA the time limits had to be like those in real contests. But generally, we try to keep the time limits as small as possible (Even one second). But many class problems need a lot run time and we have to provide higher time limits for them.
Ya, if the problem may take less time, then the time limit should be less. It's better. Although many novice and newcomer programmer will face problem for it, but not so greatly, i think.

--- Sajid
Sajid Online: www.sajidonline.com

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

Mist wrote:I would like to upgrade the system :roll:
I really think you mean you would like to see the system upgraded, otherwise, I'll take your money with my biggest smile :lol:.

Really, $400 is too much money for us. We do not get anything with this system, and I'm not going to spend that ammount of money to upgrade the system from my own wallet. We're studying this and in a near future it is possible that we could improve the system. I cannot promise anything, though.
Best regards,

Fernando N

little joey
Guru

Post by little joey »

Man, if 40 people donate $10, you would be there. I would me more than happy doing that :)

fpnc
System administrator

Post by fpnc »

little joey wrote:Man, if 40 people donate $10, you would be there. I would me more than happy doing that :)
I don't really think I can ask people for money here... But anyway I have a paypal account ;). However, it would be great to upgrade the computer, or better yet, have a secondary one.

What we like to have is a front-end computer in which we would host the web access (board, stats, etc...) And a computer behind that one, which is the one that really judges. This way, I think everything would be faster. We know that Apache is one of our problems here (it slows down the computer very very much). So having the web server outside the judge should make everything faster. But, again, we have no money :'(
Best regards,

Fernando N

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

Yes we do need upgrade

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

Yes! I also think that we need to upgrade and I won't mind contributing something as well. But first of all there must be a provision so that anyone can help or otherwise we can look for sponsors. Setting up a contest is hard and it is very sad when I find that the contest is interrpted in the middle so often :( . When the problemset is easy the interruption is more frequent. So I think there is only one option left to stop this trouble :D

Return to “Other words”