2007 world finals IN JAPAN?

Post here if you don't find any other place for your post. But please, stay on-topic: algorithms, programming or something related to this web site and its services.

Moderator: Board moderators

fernando
New poster

2007 world finals IN JAPAN?

Post by fernando »

i'm just curious, ICPC world finals was in San Antonio, i want to know if any of you know where will it be held in 2007...

shamim
A great helper

Post by shamim »

I heard from some where that it will be Hawaii.

The logic in that post was, it is two years in North America and Two years Outside North America.

Although I am not sure how s/he came up with Hawaii.

Anyway, it will be declared pretty soon.

Look at icpc.baylor.edu

Darko
Guru

Post by Darko »

I'm too lazy to look for that link, but they have a nomination thingy going on right now and for the next one we have Rio, Stockholm, Hawaii and an ocean liner in the running (I am not making this stuff up).

Darko

gvcormac
Problemsetter & Reviewer

Not yet known

Post by gvcormac »

Bill Poucher announced at the coaches' meeting that next year is not yet finalized. He also intimated that since IBM had renewed its sponsorship for another five years, the tentative order of venues might be rearranged.

shahriar_manzoor
System administrator & Problemsetter

hmm

Post by shahriar_manzoor »

I heard the following rumors:

a) World Finals 2009 in Stockholm, Sweden
b) Nest World Finals in Rio or Florida or Hawaii
c) World Finals 2008 in Japan.

Of course all these are rumors and may be not true but these are in consideration as future venues.

OuFeRRaT
New poster

Post by OuFeRRaT »

i have heard they will be in orlando.
"God doesn't play dice" - Albert Einstein

contest_clarificator
Online Contest Administrator

Hmm

Post by contest_clarificator »

OuFeRRaT wrote:i have heard they will be in orlando.
Yikes! Getting US Visa is not easy for some countries :(. But of course for most it is a great venue.

Sometimes in the name of globalization some venues are chosen which are not easy to reach. For example the IMO venue was perhaps slovenia this year which has no embassy in Bangladesh and in many countries.

The IOI is in Mexico, when someone needs to go there he has to get transit visa of US (Ofcourse not those who don't need US Visa) and things become very complicated. So I think some IOI teams has to be very careful about visa (Bangladesh, Iran etc)

-Shahriar Manzoor

misof
A great helper

Post by misof »

We (from Slovakia) are not travelling via the States, so it's possible to get to the IOI without obtaining US transit visa :)

But I agree that visa may often cause problems, I do remember cases when contestants weren't able to participate for this reason, and it's always a sad thing when this happens.

contest_clarificator
Online Contest Administrator

hmm

Post by contest_clarificator »

I hope they will try the option of avoiding US.

Often the contest organizers fail to emphasize the importance of all teams being present. And I have not seen public announcement (May be I have missed) when any team fails to come due to visa problem in ICPC.

That is why I think the Shanghai contest was most successful ICPC World Finals, along with good hotel, compact venue, problemset etc.

-Shahriar Manzoor
Last edited by contest_clarificator on Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moha
Experienced poster

Post by Moha »

That is why I think the Shanghai contest was most successful ICPC World Finals, along with good hotel, compact venue, problemset etc.
Yes I agree with you it was wonderful.

sohel
Guru

Post by sohel »

OuFeRRaT wrote: i have heard they will be in orlando.
Is it finalized..
.. or are they thinking of the possibility?

I also think they should avoid US this time.
Everyone wants to see the best teams participating in WFs.
And missing out due to VISA problem is really upsetting.

I hope the authorities will consider these things before finalizing any decision.

Per
A great helper

Re: hmm

Post by Per »

contest_clarificator wrote:Often the contest organizers fail to emphasize the importance of all teams being present. And I have not seen public announcement (May be I have missed) when any team fails to come due to visa problem in ICPC.
If I remember correctly, this year, in San Antonio, there was only one team that couldn't come (and it was because of VISA issues).

I have heard Bill Poucher talk about some of the efforts that they put into getting all teams on-site, and from what I've heard, I gather that they do consider it very important.

shahriar_manzoor

hmm

Yes one member from an Iranian team could not be present. But for Iran this has also happened in the past, in a previous year one iranian team competed from netherlands (For not getting visa) while the original world finals was in USA. In the world finals 2006 ranklist that team is probably shown as HM but it is never mentioned that they did not participate in the contest. Many people can set the reason of bad relationship between US and Iran. But I have often heard from people (for some of my problem statements) - not to mix politics and programming contest. While I now try to follow that I guess by denying Visa to some particular countries' contest teams, politics and programming contests are being brought together by some other people.

This year the two iranian team members were given the option to participate or not to participate and they chose not to paricipate (to retain their chances of two world finals) and they chose not to.

I agree that Prof. Poucher is very careful about getting visas and he even managed supporting letter from congressman so that people gets visas.

Personally I can be very happy because when in 2003 I could not make it to USA I heard that they made formal announcements (I knew from other sources) but it is also required for teams I guess. The absence of teams just gets spread by rumours and not as official statement. Personally I would go a step ahead - a formal apology is required from the host organizers.

What I mean is if say in 2030 Bangladesh arranges (A hypothetical thought) World Finals and a team is denied visa to come here and if I am one of the main organizers I will formally say sorry to the teams that could not come due to visa problem, on stage.

Ofcourse debate can continue and I can be misinformed :)

Moha
Experienced poster

Post by Moha »

This is the Iranian participation history in ACM-ICPC World Final:
2000: it was in US, One team didn't get VISA.
2001: it was in Canada.
2002: it was in US, one of the Iranian teams didn't get visa.
2003: it was in US, Both of Iranian teams didn't get visa.
2004: it was in Prague.
2005: it was in Shanghai.
2006: it was in US, One of the Iranian teams didn't get visa.

Also it is not so odd to know that, after 2005 Google invite top 40 teams of WF to Google Campus in CA and both of Iranian teams ranked 17th, so they decided to go. But all of the teams

shahriar_manzoor

World Finals 2007 in Japan?

Return to “Other words”